A few 6mm Dasher questions

Charles E

curmudgeon
1. I had started a thread on powder for the Dasher some time ago, and one not mentioned was IMR 4007. I know at least one person who used it, anyone else given it a try?

2. Given all the hording going on & primer (un)availability, I think I'm going to be limited in primers to what I have on hand -- Federal 205Ms and the Wolf magnum small rifle. Anybody tried these? Anybody tried Rem 7-1/2s?

3. Starting loads (i.e., likely safe in any BR rifle) for Varget and esp. 4895? (Bullets on hand are Clinch River 100s, 106s and 105s, and a few old 105 Bergers. I can probably get some of the 108 BIBs next time Randy makes them.)

TIA.

Charles E
On my first firing with straight gunpowder and no breakfast cereal I use 30 grains of Varget even though I shoot 33.5 grains of RE15 in my match loads.My father uses 33.2 grains of RE15 in his gun and our load window runs 33.1 - 33.5 with RE15.If you have a chronograph handy and your barrel is around 28-30 inches long your groups will get good anywhere from 2980-3070 fps depending on the barrel.

The Russian primers work well and alot of guys are using them.

On the starting loads once your brass has been shot atleast one time I would start at 31.5 grains of Varget and 32.5 grains of RE15 if your reamer has a freebore around 0.105 in length.Varget typicaly runs 1 grain less than RE15 in a max load.

If your shooting Berger VLD bullets don't hesitate to jump them a very very long way.My gun likes them 0.085 off the lands and by that I get absolutely zero marks of any kind on my bullets when I say they are at the lands.My dad says his are 0.125 off the lands and we are both using Bartliens with the same reamer.His loads in my gun shoot lights out and visa versa so don't be afraid to really jump them alot.One of the better shooters at our club is jumping them 0.185 and that isn't a typo.:eek:

Lynn aka Waterboy

primers

Charles, if you use the Federal 205, you will eventially pierce primers. They don't hold up to Dasher pressures. This is in Viper and Panda actions. I fireform with 30 grains of Varget with bullet jammed. You will end up between 32.5 and 34 grains of Varget. Don't forget about 108 Berger shot about 10 thous. in. Good luck you will enjoy shooting the Dasher. Matt Kline

Last edited by a moderator:
6mm Dasher

No problems with the Fed 205 GM, Wolf primers just shot smaller groups. I've tried H4350 (case not quite big enough) H4895, Varget & RE-15 with the nod going to RE-15.

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but in addition to Matt, Mark King mentioned that using 205Ms in a Dasher would occasionally give blanked primers. OK, I believe you. Still, a fair number of people are pushing the 6PPC to the 70,000 psi level with 205Ms -- those 30+ grains loads of N-133 in a 6PPC can do that. Wonder what pressures the Dasher people are getting?

Just a thought, back to the Dasher s'il vous plait.

I have allways used fed 205 in my dashers without any troubles what so ever. every rifle is different though.

Charles E
I first encountered Fed 205M primer problems with the 6BR.I would work up a load and my chronograph would tell me my extreme spread was improving but the primers would start blanking at 25 fps extreme spread.I called Gail Root at Nosler and was told to use the CCI 450 Magnums.
My next trip top the range I tried the 450's and my extreme spread was single digit and the primers were all in great shape.I was only 0.1 grain hotter than than with the 205's.
Alot of guys are shooting the lower load window in the Dasher and BR cases and with those loads you won't have any trouble with the 205's.As to what is happening with the 6ppc shooters I always follow one rule with anything I read on these types of forums.
Try everything out in your own gun before you believe anything that is written down in a post.
I have tried H4895,Varget and 8208 XBR but desite what most of the guys in Montana are seeing RE15 gets the nod here as well.
Lynn aka Waterboy

well, i pulled/plotted TWO 3.xxx 100's this weekend in montana, two different powder/primer choices in each. i think they just will eat anything maybe:D

both were shot by 17 pound guns, BUT in heavy gun relays DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT, hehe. my luck rubbed off on thier targets i guess, but not my own guns:mad:confused:

tom

6.5 wssm / RL17

:rolleyes:Good Mourning Martin,
Just checking on how your doing with the Reloader 17 in that case...
I noticed a while back you were going to do some extensive testing,did you do it? Or are you waiting for warm weather... PA 1000 YD. SHOOTER.

i will start a new thread richard, once pat gets the results up on our website. but quickly, ed janikowsky shot a 3.399/100 on saturday morning, relay 1, heavy. i have homework to do, but i think this is a montana club record.

then it was leo, of course, shooting his trusty 16.89 pound light gun, in a later heavy gun relay on sunday. anywa, he hammered a 3.610"'/100.

i got to plot both. i do know leo's gun is a 17# class rifle. and i am pretty sure eds is too, but it has never been weighed, as it has always been the designated heavy of his two dashers.

as i said 2 different powder choices, the common link would be.... chambered by the same man, stock work by the same man....... o, and of course, both shot at the one and only, deep creek range, missoula. and, it goes without saying, both were 6 dashers. i thought ed was using his panda for heavy, but he filled out viper...if thats correct, it would make both of them vipers also.

tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom

Some amazing shooting. Wish I could have been there to see it. Looks like the Deep Creek Gang is off to a smokin start for the 2010 season.

Maybe see you in August.

Richard

Back