A Different Sort of Humor Forum

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
You know how teenagers will take a little cheap sedan, dude it all up with fancy accessories and call it a "tuner". Almost always, if they added up all they've spent they could have had a real sports car to begin with? Well, some of us do the same thing with rifles. Maybe more than some would care to admit. I have a few that I'm still thinking of pouring money into trying to get them to shoot.

Here's an example: I wanted an inexpensive .223 to haul afield. I bought a Stevens 200 with a Tupperware stock. The thing was sub-minute with most ammo and half-minute with a few loads. I have since added a Green Mountain heavy barrel, a target stock with aluminum bedding block, a SSS trigger, an EGW rail and a 36 power scope. It still doesn't shoot any better, and yet I am undeterred from further misadventures. Maybe when I get on retirement income I'll have to slow down some.

Anyone else have similar sad (or funny) tales? Any that did work out?

i would say there are people that do it,
i do not see it as humorous...just silly

the inverse is to buy well and finish with a good shooter.
i paid 350 for a win 52c (22rf target rifle) added a new stock
that i finished, added a scope mount and 36x luepold.
i have a gun that shoots and is worth more than i have in it.

Humor

I am glad I am older now, I see so many youngsters buying every doodad and doohickey for their Ar's that they accessorize themselves to death....Im getting where I like it the way it came and leave it that way...Keep it simple. Works for me, Heck I don't even like loud pipes or the radio playing in the car.

You know how teenagers will take a little cheap sedan, dude it all up with fancy accessories and call it a "tuner". Almost always, if they added up all they've spent they could have had a real sports car to begin with? Well, some of us do the same thing with rifles. Maybe more than some would care to admit. I have a few that I'm still thinking of pouring money into trying to get them to shoot.

Here's an example: I wanted an inexpensive .223 to haul afield. I bought a Stevens 200 with a Tupperware stock. The thing was sub-minute with most ammo and half-minute with a few loads. I have since added a Green Mountain heavy barrel, a target stock with aluminum bedding block, a SSS trigger, an EGW rail and a 36 power scope. It still doesn't shoot any better, and yet I am undeterred from further misadventures. Maybe when I get on retirement income I'll have to slow down some.

Anyone else have similar sad (or funny) tales? Any that did work out?

Aren't those Stevens /Savage a fun toy. A do it yourselfers dream come true. Enjoy. You won't shoot any better in your old age.Voice of experience.

Some things work out, some don't

Every "improvement" I've made to rifles held out the hope of success. The testimonials of others are helpful, but no guarantee. Best formula I've found is to find someone who owns a proven shooter and buy it off him.

If it ain't broke

don't fix it. If you're an unabashed tinkerer I can see the logic in your methods. However, once done the benefit may be negligible. Gosh, a half minute of angle unmodified wasn't good enuf? :cool:

Back