80% lower

F

f21sh

Hi guys
What is the legal info on finishing an 80% lower with no serial # etc.., Must a person registrar one with local authorities? Been looking into this as an option to purchasing a complete AR. Also which source for a 80% lower would you recommend?

Thanks.

Hi guys
What is the legal info on finishing an 80% lower with no serial # etc.., Must a person registrar one with local authorities? Been looking into this as an option to purchasing a complete AR. Also which source for a 80% lower would you recommend?

Thanks.
Right at this very moment (because markets can change quickly) - a stripped lower, or even some complete lowers, are so inexpensive that you won't save a lot going the 80% route. And 80% lower is going to be around $90 and a complete lower (Of comparable quality) will be $140 or so. Complete with a stock can be found for $250 (give or take). After doing the machining, adding the Lower Parts Kit (trigger group, grips, pins, etc.) and adding the stock, buffer tube, and buffer parts. Your going to be right there in tha same neighborhood. If you are wanting to learn to build one from scratch, it's a fair place to start. But if what you want is a plinker rifle, or even a good entry level rifle. Ready built can be found for about the same outlay.

I think the real attraction with the 80% lowers is that the government wont ever know you own it. Not all bad in my opinion!! Go for your it! They make jigs, so finishing one out should be pretty simply. Sell the jig after your done. Mill time, if your own doesn't cost much. Lee

Re: 80% lowers

I have had good luck with Tactical Machining, they have lowers and jigs. Beware if you are getting a .308 lower, make sure you get the jig from the same place as the specs can differ. (Tactical, Queutin and Armalite specs are not the same and not as many parts available as are the DPMS syle). The other response was correct as to not saving much money. You can build a more custom rifle for a bout the same price as a factory one but you really have to shop around for the good deals. Of course this is just an opinion, do a lot of research Pryor to committing. Good luck

thanks for the info. I am looking to build a 308 flat top with a 20" barrel krieger barrel SASS type rifle. thanks for the 308 lower heads up I thought mil spec was mil spec.:)

Back