7mm WSM or 300WSM

W

windflag

Building a big game hunting rifle and am choosing between 7WSM or a 300 WSM. This rifle would be used on animals ranging from mule deer to elk. Which would you choose?

I think you'll find more 30 cal bullets on the market giving you a little more choice when you decide to hunt something else, otherwise,,,,, both very fine hunting rounds.

ps: i'd think more about barrel lenght than cal, why build a short barrel WSM when a 308 or 7mm-08 will shoot the same bullets just as fast or flat

I hate recoil but love good ballistics. I have a 7RM.

The 7WSM will do anything you want and there are lots of bullet options from light skin to super penetrators to amazing match bullets.

All without going over 180gr bullet weights.

Jerry

Look into the 7-300wsm (custom chamber/rifle of course). Longer neck and will drive the 180 Bergers at 3,000fps.

I Have Both

I have two Model 70's. One of each cal. My 7MM WSM is a Coyote Stainless and the 300 WSM is/was a Super Shadow that I converted to a floor plate model and mounted it in a laminated stock. Both rifles have trigger jobs.

The 7MM-WSM is my go-to BG rifle because it just flat shoots lights out. It's a heavy gun that works well when I am sitting in the blind as I would not want to pack it around a lot. I have good results with the 150-160 grain bullets. Ammo is not hard to find.

I bought the 300 WSM for a trip to Africa that has since been cancelled due to the company I that I work for selling to new owners. With the laminated stock and Limbsaver pad shooting 180 grain Accu-Bonds it will shoot 1" groups with me as the driver. No telling how well it would shoot with some of you guys behind the stock.

IMHO the 7MM WSM will do whatever the 300 WSM will do on all but the biggest plains game. Your mileage may vary.

7 WSM.

Higher BC/weight ratio for better downrange energy and a flatter trajectory.

If you go bigger than elk, maybe something else would be better.

Back