788 accuracy issue

Stevep51d

Have a very nice 788 Remington in 22-250 with a Nikon 6-24 scope.....Rifle is acting weird, At the bench first 2 shots nearly touch and the third is always thrown 1 1-2 down and right..... does this sound like something is shifting or a barrel issue?

what do 5 or more look like what do 7 look like
is the bbl touching the stock
how is being held when shot

Will have to shoot it More than 3 next time.....Barrel free floated, Timney trigger....Action tight......Scope and base on correctly and torqued and lock tight. It seems to me like something is shifting is all I can think of.....If the barrel was shot wouldn't it throw them all over? But over several 3 shot groups it did the same every time! It is being shot of a sandbag!

Last edited:
Will have to shoot it More than 3 next time.....Barrel free floated, Timney trigger....Action tight......Scope and base on correctly and torqued and lock tight. It seems to me like something is shifting is all I can think of.....If the barrel was shot wouldn't it throw them all over? But over several 3 shot groups it did the same every time! It is being shot of a sandbag!

As hinted at by retired, above, more shots may well produce, "double grouping": especially, if the action screws are tight, the action in direct contact with the wood. Typically, "as is" 788s are pretty decent groupers. I have been associated with several, which, once pillar bedded, became capable of sub .5" 5-shot 100 Yd. average. RG

As hinted at by retired, above, more shots may well produce, "double grouping": especially, if the action screws are tight, the action in direct contact with the wood. Typically, "as is" 788s are pretty decent groupers. I have been associated with several, which, once pillar bedded, became capable of sub .5" 5-shot 100 Yd. average. RG

I guess I was not clear, My meaning was that the rifle was somewhat loose and it has since been tightened up correctly but have not tested to see if it changed anything yet...Got to sit down and make more ammo first!

I guess I was not clear, My meaning was that the rifle was somewhat loose and it has since been tightened up correctly but have not tested to see if it changed anything yet...Got to sit down and make more ammo first!

You made that clear - the question: is the stock, at least, epoxy bedded to the action? If the "bedding" is metal (action) to wood (stock) contact, a bedding issue is very likely. RG

Last edited:
You made that clear - the question: is the stock, at least, epoxy bedded to the action? I the "bedding" is metal (action) to wood (stock) contact, a bedding issue is very likely. RG

R.G The rifle is not bedded in the action area yet......I am going to shoot it with the screws tightened first but I agree with you a bed job is most likely needed....After deer season I will sit down and bed it when things slow down some....Thanks

Back