6x284 versus 6mm Rem AI

H

haze10

In a comparison between the 6x284 and the 6MM Rem AI, what are the pros and cons between these cartridges. Is the load data interchangable?

Load data interchangable ? No

I shoot a 6x284. Also a 22-250 AI. To make brass for 6x284 all I have to do is run one time 6.5x284 in my 6x284 sizing die and presto I'm ready to rock. An improved case you first have to load up the standard case and fire form it in your improved chamber then size it in your 6MM AI die then your ready to roll.... I can push 70 gr missiles out of 26" BBL right at 4,000 FPS and still get under 1/2MOA. 87 gr V-max 3,600 FPS with under 1/2 MOA.Shot a yote at 341 yards with 87 gr V-max and he looked like he was struck by lightening. One thing with both rounds is throw your concerns about BBL life into the wind. How ever I've got 800+ rounds( All Max loads) threw my 6x284 and under 1/2MOA is still happening.:D

I remember reading that PO Ackley was a fan of the long neck cartridges. He felt that overbore cartridges that had longer than typical necks reduced throat erosion. So that would be one thing in favor of the 6MM Rem AI. But I have no idea of whether or not this is really true.

He didn't have the powders we have.

PO Ackley was a great gunsmith and vanguard for wildcat cartridges. Both cartridges are BBL burners in fact the standard 243 and 6MM aren't know for being soft on BBLs. To me the ease in obtaining case's for loading is so much easier with the 6x284 is enough for me. Now days there are things that can be done to increase BBL. Certain coatings, tougher steels different rifling methods.Hey in fact the gunsmith that chambered my rifle recently check out my bore and said "yes there is erosion"! But rifle is still producing 1/2MOA and less.My current load is a Nosler 70 gr BT in front of 56.2 grs of H4350 for 3,925 ( Average) MV. Any how that's my 2 cents worth.

In a comparison between the 6x284 and the 6MM Rem AI, what are the pros and cons between these cartridges. Is the load data interchangable?

They are both going to burn barrels a bit... you can see throat erosion in 200 rounds...

There is better quality brass available for the .284 case...

On the last 6mm Rem AI......

I was shooting a 26" 1-14 twist, custom barrel, 6 groove with zero freebore, .2435 throat. I was fireforming the 70g Ballistic tips with 50.5g of 760 at 4050 fps shooting 1/2" groups. Neck sized the cases, dropped in 51.5g of 760 and was shooting the 70's at 4150 and all I had to do was neck size the cases afterwards shooting tiny little clover leafs.

Next bullet I tried was the 80g Sierra Blitz BT with R#19, accuracy load was at 3800 fps.

It is really amazing how flat shooting the 70g Ballistic tip is at 4150 fps, and I have no idea what the max load for this barrel is. When I shot a bug hole with this load, followed by several more, I called it a done deal with the 70's at 4150 fps.

I did work up a load with 760 shooting the 60's at 4400+ fps with extreme accuracy.

The 6mm AI or 244 AI is a very user friendly cartridge with ease of attaining accuracy loads.

I would advise you to put this cartridge and the 2/684 on a long action or you will be in trouble as your leade grows.

I haven't seen an internal case capacity of each cartridge, but they look near identical. Do you think the load data is interchangable.

At first you might think so ?

If you look at the specs in the New Sierra Manual and compare the two cartridges you'd think so.:confused: But I load for the 6x284 and I can tell you in my rifle my lightest load for the 80 gr Bullet using H4350 is a whopping 8 grs over their stated Maximum load. YES THAT'S RIGHT!!!!:eek: Hey my first Coyote I ever shot was with like 55 grs of H4350 behind a Nosler 80 gr Balistic Tip.MV clocked at 3,960 FPS. This is no bull. I hit that coyote at about 40 yards broad side in the shoulder. That yote did a 180 and dropped dead.:D Amazing thing was the bullet hole both the entrance and exit was no bigger then a pencil. I think the Lawyers limit what Sierra can publish.H4350 RE #19,WXR and H4831 have been the best powders for my rifle. Listen I think you get the biggest bang for your buck with the 6x284 that cartridge is " Bad to the Bone" I have Hart SS Match 10" twist 26" BBL Varmint contour Rem 700 Jewell trigger that rifle rocks.:cool:

Back