6PPC Dies & Seater

B

Brian_K

I wondered if someone could enlighten me. I’m delving into the dark art of short range centrefire benchrest and am having a 6PPC built.

I’m looking at purchasing two Wilson items from Sinclairs:

Stainless Neck Die 6PPC – Oversized
Chamber Type Seater Die 6PPC – Oversized

Could someone tell me what the Oversized means?

Thanks
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered if someone could enlighten me. I’m delving into the dark art of short range centrefire benchrest and am having a 6PPC built.

Thanks
Brian

Brian, If you're going to shoot the 6PPC I highly recommend reading the best book ever written on the subject by the most prolific Benchrest Hall-of-Fame point accumulator, Tony Boyer. His book, The Book of Rifle Accuracy, is a must read to get you started in the right direction. Here's one source for the book: http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=TBSC

Instead of a neck sizer, I highly recommend you purchase a Full Length sizing die with a cavity for a bushing. You'll need that capability for adjusting neck tension. Here's a great source for one of those and you can't beat the price: http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/full-length-die Good Luck

Brian, If you're going to shoot the 6PPC I highly recommend reading the best book ever written on the subject by the most prolific Benchrest Hall-of-Fame point accumulator, Tony Boyer. His book, The Book of Rifle Accuracy, is a must read to get you started in the right direction. Here's one source for the book: http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=TBSC

Instead of a neck sizer, I highly recommend you purchase a Full Length sizing die with a cavity for a bushing. You'll need that capability for adjusting neck tension. Here's a great source for one of those and you can't beat the price: http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/full-length-die Good Luck

Many thanks, I have Tony’s book and “speed read” most of it, really must find the time to sit down and read it thoroughly.

As well as the Wilson parts I also ordered a Redding small base body die. From here that’s probably the best I can do. I figure that will get me up and running, see what problems I bump into and try to cure them with a planned trip to the States next May and some purchases.

Bullets seems to be the biggest problem, I’ve sourced some Berger Column – any opinions on those?

Brian

Columns

Many thanks, I have Tony’s book and “speed read” most of it, really must find the time to sit down and read it thoroughly.

As well as the Wilson parts I also ordered a Redding small base body die. From here that’s probably the best I can do. I figure that will get me up and running, see what problems I bump into and try to cure them with a planned trip to the States next May and some purchases.

Bullets seems to be the biggest problem, I’ve sourced some Berger Column – any opinions on those?

Brian

I have locally made zero bullets, copperheads, as well as fowler and columns. I test all new barrels on each. Some shot well on columns some didn't. You can never tell which combination will work in any barrel. Those that shot well on columns shot as well as the others did on custom bullets.
Andy in Oz.

I have locally made zero bullets, copperheads, as well as fowler and columns. I test all new barrels on each. Some shot well on columns some didn't. You can never tell which combination will work in any barrel. Those that shot well on columns shot as well as the others did on custom bullets.
Andy in Oz.

I have had some of Kenny's Copperheads. They do shoot very well. I just wish they were a standard item in the US market.

Brian

Brian,
If you have anything other than a factory Sako ppc or Ruger ppc, the wilson oversize nk sizer and seater will not work, the brass will litterally wobble around in them.

For most competition chambers, you need the standard seater and a redding type s small base ppc or one of the Harrell's (both are good dies and priced right).

Hovis

Brian,
If you have anything other than a factory Sako ppc or Ruger ppc, the wilson oversize nk sizer and seater will not work, the brass will litterally wobble around in them.

For most competition chambers, you need the standard seater and a redding type s small base ppc or one of the Harrell's (both are good dies and priced right).

Hovis

Hmmm, that’s seems to be directly contradicting the post I linked to in #2

It’s a new barreled Panda action built by Kelbly and using Lapua 220 brass.

Am I in the do-dah !!

Brian

Thanks
Brian

There are many good gunsmiths in short range benchrest. I bought a sizing die from Billy Stevens. It solved all my problems. He can also provide a good seating die. I am sure there are others who can as well. Wayne Cambell comes to mind. Or have the smith building your gun provide.
Trout

Hmmm, that’s seems to be directly contradicting the post I linked to in #2

It’s a new barreled Panda action built by Kelbly and using Lapua 220 brass.

Am I in the do-dah !!

Brian

Ummm, no..... I'm in that link and it doesn't contradict me.

Ummm, no..... I'm in that link and it doesn't contradict me.

True, so you are saying these statements from the lnked post are incorrect?

"The 'modern' Lapua 220R cases are also .443 at the back and over time this has become the normal standard for PPC brass. It could be said that all 'modern' PPC's are actually PPC USA's."

"The Wilson 6PPC O.S. (over size) seating die I have is a perfect fit for Lapua brass. My Wilson standard 6PPC die is too small at the back end but worked perfectly for an earlier 6PPC I had that was chambered for the original Sako case dimensions."

Brian - confused:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, if you are having/had the rifle built by Kelblys, I highly recommend you contact Greg Walley at Kelblys for sizing and seating advise. Chances are Greg is the one who did the chambering of your barrel. In any case Kelblys will have a record of that chamber size and can best advise on dies.

A proper set of dies will cost you $300 at most and getting the proper dies will eliminate hundreds of headaches.

Brian, if you are having/had the rifle built by Kelblys, I highly recommend you contact Greg Walley at Kelblys for sizing and seating advise. Chances are Greg is the one who did the chambering of your barrel. In any case Kelblys will have a record of that chamber size and can best advise on dies.

A proper set of dies will cost you $300 at most and getting the proper dies will eliminate hundreds of headaches.

Thanks Jerry, that sounds like good advice. I’ll get an email off to Kelbly’s and see what they say.

Brian

Wilson makes great dies, however an oversize die is not something you want for a custom chamber PPC. Since you are in England and ordering a rifle from Kelblys get them to fix you up with appropriate dies.
Dick

Thanks Dick/Jerry,

Many emails today with Hobie have got me on the right track. That guy has the patience of a Saint, but I’m a lot wiser now.

Brian

Thanks Dick/Jerry,

Many emails today with Hobie have got me on the right track. That guy has the patience of a Saint, but I’m a lot wiser now.

Brian

By following Hobies advise on the sizing and seating dies will save you much trouble later on. This forum tries to be helpful but the professionals, who have been into this for decades are your best source for that type information.

The entire crew at Kelblys is great to work with. That is what they do, meet customers needs, and that is Hobie Bonds main job, helping customers. All the benchrest communities suppliers that I am familiar with are like that...great. This benchrest crowd, shooters and all, are like that.

True, so you are saying these statements from the lnked post are incorrect?

"The 'modern' Lapua 220R cases are also .443 at the back and over time this has become the normal standard for PPC brass. It could be said that all 'modern' PPC's are actually PPC USA's."

"The Wilson 6PPC O.S. (over size) seating die I have is a perfect fit for Lapua brass. My Wilson standard 6PPC die is too small at the back end but worked perfectly for an earlier 6PPC I had that was chambered for the original Sako case dimensions."

Brian - confused:confused:

The first statement is incorrect. I suspect that the OP may have been quoting chamber dimensions. There has never (to my knowledge) been any ppc cases that measured .443 at the base. I have 2 boxes of brand new Lapua .220 Russian that all measures about .439 at the rim. I have never seen any that was much different.

The first statement is incorrect. I suspect that the OP may have been quoting chamber dimensions. There has never (to my knowledge) been any ppc cases that measured .443 at the base. I have 2 boxes of brand new Lapua .220 Russian that all measures about .439 at the rim. I have never seen any that was much different.

SAKO PPC (or SAKO 220 Russian, I forget which) brass was of a different base dimension by a few thousants than current Lapua.

Back