6mm Remington - powder ?

P

phantom496

I reciently built a 6mm and want to know what powder would be best suited to shoot the 107 + bullets with. I have tried the RE-22 with good results, but it heats up the barrel really fast (5 rounds). I am now using the Retumbo Powder, it doesn't heat up the barrel quite as fast, but accuracy isn't what I expected either. I also tried Vht 165, but doesn't seem to like it with those bullets. I have tried all of the above powders with Lapua 105's still didn't settle down well. It is a 1:8.5 Krieger Barrel, would like some pro opinion on it. There seems to be a bunch of 6mm shooters here and I would like some of their experience. :)

Phantom

You may want to post your question over on the highbreed/factory and 600 yard forum, you will get more answers there.

Also, take a look at this thread over on the Bench Rest forum...

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54030

Very interesting discussion about seating depth on VLD bullets. I will be doing some experimenting after reading their findings.

Randy

I reciently built a 6mm and want to know what powder would be best suited to shoot the 107 + bullets with. I have tried the RE-22 with good results, but it heats up the barrel really fast (5 rounds). I am now using the Retumbo Powder, it doesn't heat up the barrel quite as fast, but accuracy isn't what I expected either. I also tried Vht 165, but doesn't seem to like it with those bullets. I have tried all of the above powders with Lapua 105's still didn't settle down well. It is a 1:8.5 Krieger Barrel, would like some pro opinion on it. There seems to be a bunch of 6mm shooters here and I would like some of their experience. :)
I have built and shot several 6mm rems and also 6 ackley's
I have always got best results with h-4831 in the 6 rem.
45-47 grains with a 105 lapua,berger or the 107 sierra,and remember,2950 to 3050 fps is where you will get the best accuracy with the vld's

In my Browning 78, I have found that IMR4350 to give the best accuracy after testing several powders.

Thanks Randy. . .

I went to that other link that you gave me and that is quite a read. I have some IMR-4350 that shoots really well in my 25 Souper, so I will give it a try and I will go and find the lands, haven't got that bullet to reach it yet. It seems that the lands may be a long way out with this standard 6mm reamer, may need to redo the chamber and get it under control. I know I have some jump right now, how much needs to be determined - accurately. The VLD's are all that I shoot right now, I want the down range accuracy and that is not there yet, short range is good, but need to get the 300+ under control and the bullet seat may be part of the problem. Back to the bench . . .

Phantom

Thanks to all who replied .

I appreciate it very much and the other links as well . . .

Phantom

I know that my 6mm Remington shooting 100gr bullets sure likes 4831 with H414 a close second. You might see if these will work with 107 gr bullets just as well.

Now here's one I can chime in on for those who say I never post on shooting! :D

I used IMR 4831 for years in three 6mm Remingtons with excellent groupings for long range coyote shooting. It's a dirty powder, but worked well for barrel heat and groupings. I mostly shot an 85 gr. Hollow Point Boat Tail that grouped around 3/8" in a medium weight 26" match grade barreled varminter. It got a few coyotes in a different county (Long Shots) from where I was shooting off the hood of my 4x4! It also did well on deer with a 100 gr. bullet. IMR 4350 is a good choice also!

Last edited by a moderator:
Phantom...

...I have some limited info on the lighter pills if interested. Fell free to PM me but never messed w/ the heavies.

<><

pf

Thanks for the replys. .

I really built this to shoot the VLD bullets, I have some lighter ones to try, but I want to be able to buck the Central Plains Winds with it. My goal is to get to the 600 yard line and beyond, (coyote sized targets :D) and I am afraid that the lighter bullets won't get there like I want them to. My friend shoots a 6mm Gibbs with 87 gr, Barnes solids, but when shooting against me at the 1/4 mile range he falls far short of the target. I loaded some of the IMR-4350 up and shot them, they shot really well, but was not overly impressed with the H-4831SC until I got to the last of 4 loads. That one went into one hole for 3 shots, then I got two small fliers, but I am going back to that load again and see if it was me or the rifle. I have the rifle and targets posted on a custom rifle build at: ww.wildcountryarchery.com (Author-Phantom) if you care to take a look at them. I just don't want to go posting a bunch of targets here.

I really appreciate the imput from all of you . . It will keep me from shooting out a barrel in research of powders . . thanks

Phantom

Phantom,

I helped a buddy w/ a Borden built gun & he recommended and I still load using N160 with all the lighter bullets like ballistic tips for varmints. Never tried any pills over +/-80grains. He still uses it for our small south TX deer too.

Good Luck.....should be a good all around powder, but I am partial to the VV line.

<><

pf

Back