6mm mcr

6mcr

GNB -

Howdy !

I did search on the net, for the 6MCR. First item that came up was bnechrest.com/archive/index.php/t-95849.html
This was apparently, a post about precision shooting w/ the .30-30 Win .

In the posts that came up from the archive...... Pete Wass made an input dated 09-04-2016, where in he talks a bit about the 6 MCR.

An elaborate-to-make wildcat, based off .30-30 .

With regards,
357Mag

If I remember right the cartridge was developed by Harvey Miller. The MCR stands for Miller Custom Rifles.

It is very similar to a 219 Donaldson except with a 6mm neck.

Harvey had a fair amount of success with it, setting some world records with it I think.

Harold Broughton cooked up a similar cartridge he called a 240 Coyote #2, also based on a 30-30 case.

These cartridges came along as a result of Sako ending production of 220 Russian brass.

I messed with the Coyote, and experienced brief moments of greatness followed by prolonged periods of mediocrity.

Federal actually made small primer pocket 30-30 brass, called 30 American, just for these wildcats.

I think Dave Tooley was the force in the Fed. 30 American brass coming along.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

PS If anyone out there finds some error in my post, please correct things.

Last edited:
If I remember right the cartridge was developed by Harvey Miller. The MCR stands for Miller Custom Rifles.

It is very similar to a 219 Donaldson except with a 6mm neck.

Harvey had a fair amount of success with it, setting some world records with it I think.

Harold Broughton cooked up a similar cartridge he called a 240 Coyote #2, also based on a 30-30 case.

These cartridges came along as a result of Sako ending production of 220 Russian brass.

I messed with the Coyote, and experienced brief moments of greatness followed by prolonged periods of mediocrity.

Federal actually made small primer pocket 30-30 brass, called 30 American, just for these wildcats.

I think Dave Tooley was the force in the Fed. 30 American brass coming along.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

PS If anyone out there finds some error in my post, please correct things.

Steve, I have some of that brass from Red Cornelison. It is Federal without headst6amp. I also have a few that has no flash holes.

All the 30 American brass had/has small flash holes. If I remember correctly we had a prototype run done initially with no head stamp or flash hole to test flash hole size. It wasn't many pieces. Probably a few hundred. Easy enough to do. Make 30-30 with no hole or head stamp.

all the 30 american brass had/has small flash holes. If i remember correctly we had a prototype run done initially with no head stamp or flash hole to test flash hole size. It wasn't many pieces. Probably a few hundred. Easy enough to do. Make 30-30 with no hole or head stamp.
when i first met vic. Swindlehurst in london ont. In1974 he was shooting a 30 30 case necked to 6mm and shot in the ones with it '

when i first met vic. Swindlehurst in london ont. In1974 he was shooting a 30 30 case necked to 6mm and shot in the ones with it '
a.. He was shooting a 30 rem case necked to 222. Man called orin bellows moved into our town in 1947 wilcox pa he later developed the alumin sleeve ilater chambered it for hunting turkeys you could use 25 30 32 rem cases for it.

All the 30 American brass had/has small flash holes. If I remember correctly we had a prototype run done initially with no head stamp or flash hole to test flash hole size. It wasn't many pieces. Probably a few hundred. Easy enough to do. Make 30-30 with no hole or head stamp.

Dave, I have a few of those cases that I got from Red Cornelison. I believe he said they came from Federal.

Billy, we have a forum member that lives in NM that shoots a 30-30 in bench rest and he has killed many PPC shooters.

The last 2 years of Ferris life we did a couple of 40 degree shoulder that showed improvement over a PPC. We used RL10x and 3525 velocity.

.By then though, most times, I couldn't see some bullet holes.

[QUOTEI BELEIVE MILLER SHOT THAT CASE IN 1980 AT CATCUC AND DID QUITE WELL=.357Mag;844682]GNB -

Howdy !

I did search on the net, for the 6MCR. First item that came up was bnechrest.com/archive/index.php/t-95849.html
This was apparently, a post about precision shooting w/ the .30-30 Win .

In the posts that came up from the archive...... Pete Wass made an input dated 09-04-2016, where in he talks a bit about the 6 MCR.

With regards,
357Mag[/QUOTE]

[quotei beleive miller shot that case in 1980 at catcuc and did quite well=.357mag;844682]gnb -

howdy !

I did search on the net, for the 6mcr. First item that came up was bnechrest.com/archive/index.php/t-95849.html
this was apparently, a post about precision shooting w/ the .30-30 win .

In the posts that came up from the archive...... Pete wass made an input dated 09-04-2016, where in he talks a bit about the 6 mcr.

With regards,
357mag
[/quote] the zipper was made off 30 30 case for over and under rifls back in 40s

Back