6MM Grendel

pablo

Have any of you guys done load development with a 6 Grendel? I'm going to start next weekend and have 8208XBR, LT32, N133, and N201, any ideas or guidance would be appreciated. I have Barts 80gn Dominators. Thanks, in advance.

6mm grendel

wow we are on the same track"
Iv'e been thinking of building one myself.
I think N133 might be the one to use.
I was also thinking of the 75 to 80 gr pills.
I just haven't decided on the barrel twist yet. Maybe 12 or 13 to start,

The biggest thing on this is finding a 12 twist LV taper barrel. You aren't going to find one in stock at Butch's, Bruno's or Krieger as I've looked. It will probably have to be ordered directly from your barrel maker of choice. Several years ago I chambered a 8 twist barrel with a reamer that I had labeled as the 6 PPCL .265" neck with a .040" freebore and 30 degree shoulder. I don't remember whether I throated it longer or not. More than likely I did. From the base to the neck shoulder junction is 1.268" on the print resulting in the neck being .257" long. I used a Grendel go gage to headspace it and necked down Grendel brass for it. The reamer was built in 2006. At the time, I was wanting something with a little more capacity than a PPC for use with some of the slower lots of 8208. As with any project like that, it was pushed to the back burner when I received the reamer. I shot it a little bit before the Buffalo shoot with Berger 90 gr VLD's but didn't shoot it in the match. That was the only time I shot it. Not sure what I ever did with the barrel as the Buffalo Shoot is towards the end of season and easy to get off on something else around that time such as getting rifles ready for the Nationals. I'll have to look through my old barrels and see if I can find it. Although, the success that is being seen with the Grinch seems to point towards a 12 twist barrel instead of the 8 I had on the rifle.

6mm grendel

good luck shooting I hope it works out for you and let us know how you do with it''
Gerry

Ron Hoehn has Shilen 12 twist lv and hv barrels in stock. If someone wants a Grinch he also has a reamer and bullet seater. Resizing dies on the way. Billy Stevens also has a Grinch reamer.

Ron Hoehn has Shilen 12 twist lv and hv barrels in stock. If someone wants a Grinch he also has a reamer and bullet seater. Resizing dies on the way. Billy Stevens also has a Grinch reamer.

Since you were involved in developing the Grinch would you share what powder you guys use and how much? I think Bart told me you guy use N133 but not sure, I tried 8208 XBR and N133 this weekend in my 6 Grendel, it really likes 8208xbr, the N133 not so much, but I may still be a little light on the powder charge. Don't know how to post a pic or I'd put the target up. LOL

The Grinch holds 2 grains more powder than the grendal so the loads will be different but I think LT 32 and 133 are both to hot. I think your on the right track with the 8208 xbr. It shoots well in the Grinch also. If you check velocity with the 80 gr dominator it does best between 3120 to 3220.

The Grinch holds 2 grains more powder than the grendal so the loads will be different but I think LT 32 and 133 are both to hot. I think your on the right track with the 8208 xbr. It shoots well in the Grinch also. If you check velocity with the 80 gr dominator it does best between 3120 to 3220.

Thanks, one load of 8208 that shot the best group was 3178fps.

6MM AR - 40 Turbo

Pablo,

You might want to go to 6MMAR as a starting point, thinking this will give you multiple starting points, with the advantage of going hotter for the bolt gun. But gives you listing of powders that work in the necked down 6.5 case.

Hope this is helpful.

http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php

Pablo,

You might want to go to 6MMAR as a starting point, thinking this will give you multiple starting points, with the advantage of going hotter for the bolt gun. But gives you listing of powders that work in the necked down 6.5 case.

Hope this is helpful.

http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php

Thanks, I've seen that data before but hoped someone had some specific experience with an 80 grain bullet in a bolt gun.

Back