6MM bullet holes

r44astro

If mirage is not an issue, what does it take to see your 6MM bullet holes at a 1000 yards? Is it possible or is camera the way to go? Hell I'd probably shoot the camera.

I can sometimes see them in the white with my Kowa TSN-882 and very occasionally with my NightForce 2014 Comp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diffraction Limit Based Calculation

Note: A 6mm diameter bullet hole at 1000 yard is a Bullet Hole Diameter of 0.0232MOA.

To resolve - that is be able to see that two 50% overlapping 6 mm bullet holes are in fact two holes and not just one - you would need:

Minimum Magnification 43.1x

Minimum Objective Diameter 83.3 mm

Assumptions:
1. Well illuminated high contrast target image and clear air (no pollution, haze or mirage)

2. Observer has normal or corrected to normal (1MOA) visual resolution/acuity

3. Minimum Objective Diameter to insure Dawes Resolution limit less than Bullet Hole Diameter

Good answer

Note: A 6mm diameter bullet hole at 1000 yard is a Bullet Hole Diameter of 0.0232MOA.

To resolve - that is be able to see that two 50% overlapping 6 mm bullet holes are in fact two holes and not just one - you would need:

Minimum Magnification 43.1x

Minimum Objective Diameter 83.3 mm

Assumptions:
1. Well illuminated high contrast target image and clear air (no pollution, haze or mirage)

2. Observer has normal or corrected to normal (1MOA) visual resolution/acuity

3. Minimum Objective Diameter to insure Dawes Resolution limit less than Bullet Hole Diameter

Hey.......... 3 cheers for Fred..... an intelligent precise answer..... courteously given...... This is the type of comment that make a great site even better.....
BTW.. I use a Kowa 821 spotter..27x at 1000 yds... no way can I see bullets holes..... BUT... I can tell you what the mirage is doing.... which is what will affect your next shot....
bill

My question is why do you need to see the bullet holes at 1000? I think the 100mm Pentax may do it 1 or 2 days out of the year……. jim

In 20 years of shooting long range highpower with a .308, I have seen exactly two bullet holes at 1000 yards using a spotting scope. The scope was a Kowa TSN-1, and the eyepiece was a variable power one (20-60x). Additional factors making the above possible were a significant amount of backlighting, clear air, and no mirage (early in the day.) Once mirage kicked in, bullet holes were no longer visible.

If you want to see all bullet holes in a given target area under all shooting conditions, the best answers are (in order):

• Camera system;
  • Oehler 43 Acoustic target;
  • Change the target. Use a 20" diameter sheet of hardened steel (AR500 or better), and paint it black. The "holes" you see from the firing line are from paint being blown off the surface of the steel.

NOTES:

• Be careful when using a camera system, as power limits may become an issue. Anything broadcasting over 5 watts (IIRC) requires an FCC licence;
  • Oehler no longer sells the Model 43. Additionally, reeling in 1000 yards of cable is a pain in the behind. All bullets must be supersonic and within the detection range of all 3 microphones for bullet location to be recorded, and;
  • 20" is the diameter of the NRA highpower 10 ring (F-Class 9 ring). This number was selected as a maximum size for one person to handle, but will vary based on the thickness of the plate - see http://www.leecosteel.com/calculators.html . (A 1/2" thick plate weighs about 45 lbs.) When using such a target, nobody should be near it when firing due to bullet splatters.

Hope this helps.

Asa

We would place orange backer boards behind our targets at 4 and 500 yard belly matches.. when no pits are available. If placed right you can see every shot. Lee

Camera for seeing bullets hole also steel hits

"Be careful when using a camera system, as power limits may become an issue. Anything broadcasting over 5 watts (IIRC) requires an FCC license;"

You can set up the camera wi-fi ($250.00 DIY if you already have a laptop) have plenty of power to transmit 1000yds set router up with lower wattage and increase antenna dBi you can effectively transmit at 40 watts point to point no issues with the FCC. When using the camera to watch steel be careful about splatter and camera location not to close.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back