6BR to 30BR & Harrel FL Die

Markhor

I am getting a 30BR built by Ronnie Long. Having never prepped brass for this caliber, my question is, will the Harrels FL die prep the 6BR brass to 30BR brass or do I need to get an expander die for that process?
If I need an expander die, can someone point me in the right direction as far as what I need and what steps to follow.

Thanks and Happy New year!
Ed

I am getting a 30BR built by Ronnie Long. Having never prepped brass for this caliber, my question is, will the Harrels FL die prep the 6BR brass to 30BR brass or do I need to get an expander die for that process?
If I need an expander die, can someone point me in the right direction as far as what I need and what steps to follow.

Thanks and Happy New year!
Ed

Yes, you will need to expand the necks from 6mm to 30 caliber. I use a Nielson neck turner and expander mandrel. I use the Nielsen expander in a Sinclair die body they sell. You will need to neck turn to near your throat diameter or at least to clean up the expansion ring on the neck if you are doing a no turn. K&M also makes nice neck expander/turner system. Once you get the necks into spec for your chamber all you need to do is load a bullet into the lands a bit and fire form. The FL die comes in in maintaining you cases for easy chambering. --greg

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

You will need to expand the necks up to 30. Here is the K&M expander http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/c...expand-mandrels_for-expand-iron-assembly.html.
or:
Here is the Redding expander button http://www.midwayusa.com/product/873108/redding-tapered-size-button-16307-30-caliber

Without getting too technical - you'll need to expand your necks, using one of the above tools, or something similiar. Then turn your necks to give yourself your desired clearance. When you expand, you'll notice a donut on the cases - don't be worried about that - when you turn the necks - this will come off. In essence, this is all there is to it. We can get much more involved if you like.

One note - the Redding expander button matches up to my Sinclair turning mandrel just how I like it. The K&M expander matches up to the K&M turning madrels. In short - you want the turning mandrel to be just a hair (.001) smaller than the expander mandrel. I like to get rid of the "funnel shape" inside of the necks so I either use K&M carbide cutting mandrel (this has a cutter on it) when I turn my necks, or I use a Wilson neck reamer.

You have several more options; one would be to have Ron Hoehn make the 30 Br brass for you. http://www.benchrest.com/hoehn/
another one would be to talk to/read from Jackie S - he blows his cases from 6 to 30. Takes a special barrel for this, but it is a pretty neat concept. Another option would be to talk to Ronnie Long about making brass and just follow what he says.

Hope this helps. There have been many posts on this - do a search and read all you want.

Stanley

Thanks guys, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I will get detailed load info from Ronnie Long but wanted some idea of what was involved at this time.

Ed

Back