600 yard NBRSA Texas Championship

Joe Duke

The 600 yard NBRSA Texas Championship match this past weekend provided plenty of challenge for all the competitors who showed up. We had 20 light gun shooters Saturday and 12 heavy guns on Sunday.
The weather was HOT (100 degrees plus both days and lots of wind and mirage). Sometimes sand would blow off the berm heavy enough to obscure the targets for a bit. :>)
On a big plus side, the benchrest vendors supported us well. I suspect we gave away about $1,500.00 in merchandise and certificates. Without further ado, here are the results.

Light gun small group
Tymn Combest - 2.157"
Light gun high score
Sam Duke - 47-1x

Heavy gun small group
Justin Cockcroft - 4.054"
Heavy gun high score
Joe Duke - 95-0x

Light gun group 6 target
Sam Duke - 3.461"
Tad Emert - 6.048"
Joe Duke - 6.163"

Light gun score 6 target
Sam Duke - 230-1x
Frank Vance - 229-0x
Joe Duke - 221-0x

Heavy gun group 6 target
Tymn Combest - 7.593"
Joe Duke - 8.210"
Scott Deal - 8.210"

Heavy gun score 6 target
Tymn Combest - 509-3x
Joe Duke - 484-2x
Sam Duke - 484-1x

Twelve target group agg
Sam Duke - 6.26"
Joe Duke - 7.142"
Tymn Combest - 7.965"

Twelve target score agg
Sam Duke - 714-2x
Joe Duke - 705-2x
Scott Deal - 670-2x

Sam Duke proved to be the master of all the conditions and wrote himself into the record book as the very first Texas 600 yard score and group champion. Our hats are off to you Sam.

IMG_0967.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
Very good shooting from a very nice and helpful man. Congratulations Sam.
Terry Pohl

Thank you's

I would like to say a big Thank You to Mike Cockcroft for hosting this shoot. We do appreciate Mike providing a place and opportunity to shoot this match.

I would also like to thank the scoring crew.
Dickie Pustejovsky spent his Saturday scoring targets for us.
Gary Walters spent both Saturday and Sunday measuring targets. Sunday I don't think he ever got even a short break from the time he started until he finished.
Gary and Dickie are both avid short range competitors and it was good to have them come out and support this shoot.
Rachel Cockcroft spent both Saturday and Sunday entering data in the computer and Justin's fiance Amanda Summers also spent her Sunday helping score the targets.
Justin Cockcroft spent lots of time helping get ready for the shoot and then served as crew boss for the target crew.
Tymn Combest wrote the spreadsheet we used for scoring the match.

Without the efforts of these folks, we could not have pulled this shoot off.

Joe

Thanks Joe ,and congrats on some fine shooting as well as Sam and Tim and Scott and thanks to everyone and sponsers as well. Mike has a very nice range and he was very dedicated as was his family to making this match work as smooth as possible and worked perfectly,They worked just like they had been doing it for years from Mike calling the relays all day 2 days in a row and justin running the pit crew and cooking and his daughter doing data entry and gary and dickie helping all day to score and making everything click for a very well run match .That took a lot of work and the dedication and it showed and is apreciated.I would highly recomend anybody that wants to try some long range shooting to check out this range and matches,I will certainly be back.Good luck Mr. Mike, I hope everything keeps on clicking for you . I have no doubt it will. Tim in Tx [Tim Sellars ]

More pictures
2011_06_18_nbrsa6002011_0431.jpg

Light gun group winners: 3rd Joe Duke 2nd Tad Emert 1st Sam Duke

2011_06_18_nbrsa6002011_0433.jpg

Light gun score winners 3rd Joe Duke 2nd Frank Vance 1st Sam Duke

2011_06_18_nbrsa6002011_0442.jpg

Heavy Gun group winners 1st Tymn Combest 2nd Joe Duke 3rd Scott Deal

2011_06_18_nbrsa6002011_0445.jpg

Heavy Gun Score Winners 1st Tymn Combest 2nd Joe Duke 3rd Sam Duke

Thanks to all who participated, helped, and donated prizes. I made more then a few mistakes during the match, so to anyone effected you have my apologies. Considering I really didnt have a clue how to run an NBRSA match, I guess it came out ok in the end. Learned alot.
Wouldn't have been a match without Joe Duke taking the initiative to get it rolling and seeing it thru.

Thanks to all, I had a great time and certainly enjoyed meeting everyone from Texas.

Gary Breiling

Mike, many thanks for putting on the shoot and supplying a great range to compete on. I enjoyed it, and look forward to doing it again. Thanks to all who helped, Justin, Rachel, Amanda, and Gary and Dickie for scoring. Thanks to Joe who coordinating with NBRSA to make the arrangements. It was a pleasure shooting with the gang, and meeting Gary Breiling. I had talked with him on the phone when I was in the process of buying action blanks from him, so it is good to finally put face to someone. He and his wife are a pleasure to be around, and he got to see one of his blanks completed. Congrats to all the winners, Tymn, Tad, Frank, Joe, and Scott. Thanks again Mike. Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Duke

more pics

IMG_0963.jpg

Firing line
IMG_0957.jpg

Tad Emert
IMG_0956.jpg

Tim Sellers
IMG_0954.jpg

Scott Deal
IMG_0953.jpg

Darrell Martin