6 PPC Sizing Question

When I started with my 6 PPC, I began using a Harrell's #4 sizing die. Fired cases measured .4320" at the shoulder and .4402" at the web. After bumping the shoulder back .0005" to 0.001", I was measuring .4291 at the shoulder and .4397" at the base. So squeezing the shoulder .0029" and the base .0005". No clickers but I was concerned that I was working the shoulder too much.

I picked up a Harrell's #2.5. It took the shoulder from .4320" to .4300" and the base from .4402" to .4398". So now the shoulder was being squeezed .0020" and the base .0004". No clickers so I felt that was a better fit than what the #4 was delivering. But now, starting with firings 20+, I'm getting clickers.

I'm guessing I need a little more squeeze on the base. But it could be after 20+ firings, the cases have served their useful life and it's time to cycle in a new set of brass.

In your opinion, should I

1) resize the old brass with the Harrell's #4 that I have
2) resize the old brass with either a Harrell's #3 or #3.5
3) retire the old brass and size a new set of brass with the Harrel's #2.5
4) retire the old brass and size a new set of brass with a TBD Harrell's die

I'm leaning towards option #3.

Thanks for your help!

When I started with my 6 PPC, I began using a Harrell's #4 sizing die. Fired cases measured .4320" at the shoulder and .4402" at the web. After bumping the shoulder back .0005" to 0.001", I was measuring .4291 at the shoulder and .4397" at the base. So squeezing the shoulder .0029" and the base .0005". No clickers but I was concerned that I was working the shoulder too much.

I picked up a Harrell's #2.5. It took the shoulder from .4320" to .4300" and the base from .4402" to .4398". So now the shoulder was being squeezed .0020" and the base .0004". No clickers so I felt that was a better fit than what the #4 was delivering. But now, starting with firings 20+, I'm getting clickers.

I'm guessing I need a little more squeeze on the base. But it could be after 20+ firings, the cases have served their useful life and it's time to cycle in a new set of brass.

In your opinion, should I

1) resize the old brass with the Harrell's #4 that I have
2) resize the old brass with either a Harrell's #3 or #3.5
3) retire the old brass and size a new set of brass with the Harrel's #2.5
4) retire the old brass and size a new set of brass with a TBD Harrell's die

I'm leaning towards option #3.

Thanks for your help!

I agree with your assessment. I prefer about .0015"@the shoulder and .0005-.0006" at the base.
You could try a #3 or #4 on your old brass but I think the clickers will return after a couple or so more firings. Ideally, I'd trash the old brass and start fresh with a #3. JMHO.--Mike

"Clickers"

Kyle
In adequate sizing the base of the brass leads to
1.) Clickers
2.) Loose primer pockets

You did not state what "problem" you had with the #4 die????

Solution to above 2 problems is proper sizing die!!!!!

Having been accused of being thrifty I would retry the #4 die, just my 2 cents.
It might just stop your clickers????

CLP

I would go back to the #4 die. I know that more shoulder sizing will increase the need to trim, but I am not clear that it presents a problem in terms of accuracy or case life. In the past I think that I may have created problems with measuring tools that were not present on my targets.

Kyle
In adequate sizing the base of the brass leads to
1.) Clickers
2.) Loose primer pockets

You did not state what "problem" you had with the #4 die????

Solution to above 2 problems is proper sizing die!!!!!

Having been accused of being thrifty I would retry the #4 die, just my 2 cents.
It might just stop your clickers????

CLP

The #4 was squeezing the shoulder almost 0.003" and I thought perhaps that was too much. Never encountered any problems and I thought 0.0005" at the base was perfect. Then I used the #2.5 starting with firing #4 and for the next 16 or so firings, it functioned perfectly. Now I'm getting the clickers.

I'm just trying to get the best balance between sizing and case life.

Brass life

I have some brass I have fired at least 30 time no click at all .
That is with a custom sizing die tho .
I keep thinking it’s going to give up but they keep on producing great groups so I’ll keep on using them.
That said I would not use them in a match.

The #4 was squeezing the shoulder almost 0.003" and I thought perhaps that was too much. Never encountered any problems and I thought 0.0005" at the base was perfect. Then I used the #2.5 starting with firing #4 and for the next 16 or so firings, it functioned perfectly. Now I'm getting the clickers.

I'm just trying to get the best balance between sizing and case life.

Get a Redding 6MM PPC SB B/FL T6 die an don't look back. Kent Harshman shared that little piece of advise with me a while back. I can't remember how many firings he was getting on his brass without any clicking but it was a lot.

The brand or cost of the die means nothing if it doesn't match YOUR chamber to size the case correctly.

Joe Hynes

The brand or cost of the die means nothing if it doesn't match YOUR chamber to size the case correctly.

Joe Hynes

I have several well known CUSTOM dies,some with different size insert bases. Never did get it quite right. Followed Kents advise an got lucky I guess! Maybe we can size our brass down a little more than we thought we could! At 78 years old I'm still not to old to learn.l

Back