6 PPC .262 neck

M

MarkR

What is the importance of a .262 neck in the 6 PPC?
I'm wondering why such a majority of shooters have gravitated to the .262 neck...or am I mistaken?
Will a .268 or .270 neck accomplish the same thing? Why or why not?
Thanks in advance
Mark

.269 Neck

Many great shooters use a .269 including myself(Im not a great shooter yet though). The reason I chose .269 was because brass prep is easier and quicker(only have to turn necks once). I really dont know of any down sides to a .269 neck but Im sure if there are any someone on here can clarify.
Jonathan Kuykendall

The .262 neck spec was originaly used with the Sako .220 Russian brass.
The necks were thinner and would clean up at .010.

Glenn:D

Tony Boyer

Competes with a .268 neck. Precision Shooting Aug 2009 Thats all you need to know.....:)

Thanks for the reply guys. Sorry for the delay answering...I've been taking care of my wife after her second stroke of the year. Things are looking up though!
If Tony Boyer competes with a .268 neck, thats a pretty good reason to conclude that other neck diameters can compete besides .262.
I was asking because the .0086 or so seems pretty fragile and it makes for more work prepping cases as well...at least the way I'm doing them. I guess that I'm running my brass a little close at .2606 loaded + - with a .2626 chamber?
I really would like to get away with one time at the neck turning process!
Thanks again
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Boyd... that was an eye opener for sure! Damn!!! I just bought stock in Lapua... :cool:
Mark

I have never built a .269" neck 6ppc but I have a .262" and a .269" 6br and there is not one bit off difference in the two other than the neck diameters. They both shoot same pressures, same velocities with same charges, and the accuracy is also same. They have been beat against each other in all weather from 4000 feet elevation to 11,000 feet elevation with no noticeable differences in performance or in chronographed data. Some folks have told me that the 6ppc is "different" but have failed to explain why when asked. Not saying they're wrong, just that they had no scientific explanations for their observations.

What is the importance of a .262 neck in the 6 PPC?
I'm wondering why such a majority of shooters have gravitated to the .262 neck...or am I mistaken?
Will a .268 or .270 neck accomplish the same thing? Why or why not?
Thanks in advance
Mark
Mark, a few years ago I ask Ferris Pindell the same question. According to him the brass they were getting at the time had to be turned to 0.262" to clean up. Now there are shooters using neck diameters all over the place from 0.261" to 0.269". I have seen no indication of anyone winning in the big shoots shooting unturned.

Benchrest shooters who want "plug and play" should be shooting rimfire.

Brass prep, as tiring and boring as it sometimes can be, is still part of the ritual.

Mark, a few years ago I ask Ferris Pindell the same question. According to him the brass they were getting at the time had to be turned to 0.262" to clean up. Now there are shooters using neck diameters all over the place from 0.261" to 0.269". I have seen no indication of anyone winning in the big shoots shooting unturned.
Benchrest shooters who want "plug and play" should be shooting rimfire. Brass prep, as tiring and boring as it sometimes can be, is still part of the ritual.

Jerry, I never said that I wanted plug and play brass. I don't mind turning at all. There is a fairley substantial grey area between .262 and no turn! I just don't see any need to remove more brass than necessary to completely clean it up!
I thought that there might be a really good reason to turn 6PPC necks to .262 rather than .268 or so...something like "well, most rifles really just don't come into their own until the neck brass is so thin that you can see through it" or "neck tension seems to be much more consistant at that thickness." To turn it down to .262 just because everybody else does...doesn't seem like a good enough reason to subject self to the extra contortions necessary to get to .262.
I do realize that I don't have near the experience as most everyone else that shoots BR, and that will translate into not shooting as good as most everyone else at any given BR match. Such is the reason that I asked this question...generally...there is a good reason for most everything that shooters do in order to prep for and shoot a match. Damn...where is that four leaf clover that I keep next to my grandkids picture... ;)

Jerry, I never said that I wanted plug and play brass. I don't mind turning at all. There is a fairley substantial grey area between .262 and no turn! I just don't see any need to remove more brass than necessary to completely clean it up!
I thought that there might be a really good reason to turn 6PPC necks to .262 rather than .268 or so...something like "well, most rifles really just don't come into their own until the neck brass is so thin that you can see through it" or "neck tension seems to be much more consistant at that thickness." To turn it down to .262 just because everybody else does...doesn't seem like a good enough reason to subject self to the extra contortions necessary to get to .262.
;)
Mark, the plug and play remark wasn't aimed at you. There are often posters that whine and whine about having to prepare brass for the PPC. Remarks like "why doesn't Lapua just make PPC brass we can use out of the box, and they may. I certainly don't like to spend evenings in the Winter prepping 200-300 pieces of brass.

As to functionality of thin neck vs thick neck in the 100/200 light bullet game I doubt if anyone has proved any particular neck wall thickness best. I am still a long ways from thinking no-turn will work for the accuracy we are trying for.

In the 600 yard game many shooters agree, me included, that 100-115 grain VLD bullets seem to like a lot of neck tension and a thick wall can provide more tension if you choose to apply it. On the other hand that may be why the folks at Berger are putting a thicker jacket on their new 105 VLD's now. We may be upsetting something in the thin jacket versions with heavy neck tension!!!

Mark.
Think, this is a sticky subject????
Let's try barrel cleaning...........
Read this.
http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

I tried to keep track of "The Big Guns". And their cleaning products. The last few months. At least, the ones that talked.
Now an Ad. from "The Wipe Out" guys indicates. That Tony Boyer, uses their products. I thought/remember he used Butch's Bore Shine.
Then I heard. There are 2 Butch's Bore Shine.
The Old Stuff is red in color. Used by guys with grey hair. Can't buy it...And don't ask. No one knows, exactly what is in it.....
EPA would prolly have a fit. You might get some jail time, too. :eek:

Then I heard. There are 2 Butch's Bore Shine.
The Old Stuff is red in color. Used by guys with grey hair. Can't buy it...And don't ask. No one knows, exactly what is in it.....
EPA would prolly have a fit. You might get some jail time, too. :eek:

Zippy where did you see 2 colors of Butches? I've used BBS since Butch Foster came out with it. I have one of the few one gallon metal cans (that BBS eats through), one packaging of a glass bottle with metal lid, the glass bottle packaging with he plastic lid then the latest which has a black background on the label which comes in a "safety" container to hold the glass bottle. It all looks and smells the same to me.

Hoppes did have a formula change about 15-20 years ago. The old "good" stuff contained ammonium oleate (sp). This was found to work too well, hence a government ban. The new Hoppes works well but is too slow for a 2-3 relay match.

The only "red" cleaner I know of is a home made mix called Eds Red which was generally like the following http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm.

The main consideration is to clean consistently so you can follow the tune. At the link you posted above pay particular attention to the methods of Dwight Scott and Clay Spencer for the 100/200 group game using a 6mm.

Mark, the plug and play remark wasn't aimed at you. There are often posters that whine and whine about having to prepare brass for the PPC. Remarks like "why doesn't Lapua just make PPC brass we can use out of the box, and they may. I certainly don't like to spend evenings in the Winter prepping 200-300 pieces of brass.

As to functionality of thin neck vs thick neck in the 100/200 light bullet game I doubt if anyone has proved any particular neck wall thickness best. I am still a long ways from thinking no-turn will work for the accuracy we are trying for.

In the 600 yard game many shooters agree, me included, that 100-115 grain VLD bullets seem to like a lot of neck tension and a thick wall can provide more tension if you choose to apply it. On the other hand that may be why the folks at Berger are putting a thicker jacket on their new 105 VLD's now. We may be upsetting something in the thin jacket versions with heavy neck tension!!!

Jerry,
I'm getting ready to order a set of reamers from Dave Kiff..with several things in mind! One of them is which neck diameter do I want to use in my next several barrels to be cut with these reamers. I'm already set up for my current barrel with dies, turned brass and etc.
As I said before, without good reason for not doing so, I'm leaning very hard to the .268 neck diameter. I just don't want to cut chambers and dies for something thats not going to be competitive...for mechanical reasons!

Jerry,
I'm getting ready to order a set of reamers from Dave Kiff..with several things in mind! One of them is which neck diameter do I want to use in my next several barrels to be cut with these reamers. I'm already set up for my current barrel with dies, turned brass and etc.
As I said before, without good reason for not doing so, I'm leaning very hard to the .268 neck diameter. I just don't want to cut chambers and dies for something thats not going to be competitive...for mechanical reasons!
MarkR, current Lapua 220 Russian brass cleans up nicely at 0.268 for a 0.270 neck if you want to go that big. I don't see where you would go wrong with a 0.268 neck chamber. If you do want to change later Dave will regrind the reamer to 0.262 for $66.

Why a "set" of reamers? Is one reamer to make a sizing die with? Reason I ask, a roughing reamer is a waste. What you need for the finish reamer prep is to drill and pre bore the chamber body.

MarkR, current Lapua 220 Russian brass cleans up nicely at 0.268 for a 0.270 neck if you want to go that big. I don't see where you would go wrong with a 0.268 neck chamber. If you do want to change later Dave will regrind the reamer to 0.262 for $66.

Why a "set" of reamers? Is one reamer to make a sizing die with? Reason I ask, a roughing reamer is a waste. What you need for the finish reamer prep is to drill and pre bore the chamber body.

Yes, the second die is for making the sizing die. :)

Back