6-6.5x47L

skeetlee

I am not real sure how to say what i am about to say, but here it goes. Is anyone else a little disappointed in the performance of the 6x47Lapua? It seems to me, that the 6x47L is lacking in something, somewhere. I read a heck of a lot, and i try to look at all the score sheets i can, and i never see the 6x47L on the top of the list. My 6x47L shoots good but not as good as my dasher or even my little hunting rig 6br. Now i have to be fair, i havent shot my 6x47L out to any real range more than a couple times. but it just doesnt seem to have the accuracy the little BR cases do. I am not a velocity junkie so the extra velo doesnt really matter to me a hole lot at this early point in my rifle experience. I like one hole groups, or darn close! Like i said i really dont know what i am wanting to say, i just wondered if anyone one else with more experience than me feels the same way about the 6x47L. I think i am hooked on the Br's and improved Br chamberings. Maybe the 6x47L need a LR primer, maybe the case is just a bit to big? I dont know. I just dont think i will chamber another barrel in the 6x47L, I think the 6.5x47 has something to offer, but i am not sold on the 6x47L. Take what i say, for what it is worth. I am a nobody, and i do not have years of rifle experience. I'm just a fella who like to shoot, and talk rifles. Am i way off on this?? Thanks Lee

A gentlemen and fellow shooter from The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest Club could shoot the hair off a flies balls at 1k, match after match with his 6x47!
vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty impressive! I dont want anyone to think i am bashing the 6x47L. I am just not as excited about it now like i was before i had one built. My rifle shoots good, just not as good as my 6br's That's all. Thanks lee

Ask Don Nielson or Lou Murdica

If I am not mistaken both have done a lot of winning with this cartridge. The 6XC is basically the same cartridge with a LR primer, and David Tubb has really done well with it. Good shooting....James

That's pretty impressive! I dont want anyone to think i am bashing the 6x47L. I am just not as excited about it now like i was before i had one built. My rifle shoots good, just not as good as my 6br's That's all. Thanks lee

No worries! I was sharing with you what I've seen. I have a new 6x47 and have yet to break in the tube. The old one shot pretty well at 300 yards. I never got the opportunity to shoot it at 1k with the same load that shot well, consistently at 300.
Good luck with it.
vinny

Lee, I had (still have all three of 'em) three Dashers before I built myself a 6x47. The Dashers all shot very well right off the bat - very little load development or tweaking was needed to get excellent 600yd. accuracy out of them. That sorta spoiled me I think, as that 1st 6x47 took a bit more effort to find a combination that met the standards of accuracy the Dashers had set me up to expect.

However, having spent the last couple of years shooting a LR prone rifle in 6x47 (built around a BAT 3L), I've become pretty much a devotee of this cartridge. Stoked with N160, DTAC 115s at 2980-3010fps have given excellent results. You probably all know the NRA's LR HP target has a generous 11" dia. X-ring, and good results in prone don't necessarily equate to small groups off a bench. But there's another 6x47 sitting in the closet, stocked in an Indian paint Shehane Tracker, and with a Vais brake on the muzzle. Next time I get a chance to shoot 1000 BR out at Byers, it's going along.

My 6x47 will shoot in the .3's at 100 yards pretty regularly. That's nothing to cry about for sure. My dasher and Br will shoot in the high .1's and 2's most of the time, if not every time i do my part. I havent shot my 6x47L at any real distance to speak of. A little at 500 but not a lot. I only have probably 150 rounds down the pipe. I just always take the dasher when i go. So to be real honest i dont have any real concrete evidence about my opinion. I just dont see it on the top of many major 600 yard shoots, in the equipment lists. I have a chance to buy a 6.5x47L new with a small Bat action attached for a very real bargain. I may try it out? Thanks Lee

Lee,
I've been playing with a DPMS AR10 with a 28" Krieger 1:8 bbl. that I contoured & chambered for the 6.5x47. With under 100rds. through this beast, I'm impressed with the cartridge, and absolutely will be chambering a bbl. for it on a bolt rifle in the near future. Note that I've got rifles chambered in 6.5x55 & 6.5x55AI, and am a fan of both chamberings - it's just that I really enjoy working with very effecient cartridges (re: 6BR & Dasher), and the 6.5x47 is in this catagory. I've been very impressed with the 600yd. accuracy of the AR10 using N160 & Berger 130VLDs.

I'd jump on the BAT in 6.5x47 - if you're not pleased with it, contact me here via PM, and we'll talk about price.

the 6.6.5x47 will do better than .300 at 100yds in a good rifle with tuned loads and sorted bullets.875 rounds down this Broughton barrel with Jbs bore paste for carbon regularly. 5 rounds at 100 during a primer switch test.

Attachments

• 2950fps.jpg
    2950fps.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:
A few people here in Australia have moved away from it. I could get good groups out of it, but for some reason, it would throw the occaisinal low shot no matter what powder, bullets, primers, neck tension I used. That said, my highest scores have been with a 6x47, but then so have my lowest scores when it decided to throw the occaisional (or sometimes regular)wild shot. I have just built up a 6BR, which I,m happy with and will replace the 6x47 up to 600yds, or longer in better conditions.
I havent wanted to do any more experimenting with the 6x47 as myself and others have found it is not realy easy on barrels.

My 6x47 will shoot in the .3's at 100 yards pretty regularly. That's nothing to cry about for sure. My dasher and Br will shoot in the high .1's and 2's most of the time, if not every time i do my part. I havent shot my 6x47L at any real distance to speak of. A little at 500 but not a lot. I only have probably 150 rounds down the pipe. I just always take the dasher when i go. So to be real honest i dont have any real concrete evidence about my opinion. I just dont see it on the top of many major 600 yard shoots, in the equipment lists. I have a chance to buy a 6.5x47L new with a small Bat action attached for a very real bargain. I may try it out? Thanks Lee

Have you ever considered there might be a problem with the rifle? Your reloading process?

People here may be able to help...

Back