6-6.5x47 Lapua flash hole size

Rick B

Has anyone compared the performance of the 6-6.5x47 Lapua with the factory (small) flash hole versus the larger (standard?) size flash hole?

Thanks

Hi Rick,

As you are probably aware, the first 6.5x47 Lapua cases had a large primer. This was soon replaced by the small primer.

I asked Lapua why - 'the small primer gave better accuracy' - was the reply.

Cheers
Vince (UK)

Hi Vince,

Sorry I may not have been clear with the question. What I am interested in is whether anyone has used current production cases which have the small primer and opened up the flash hole to the "standard" size rather than the smaller PPC size flash hole to compare accuracy, velocity or extreme spread.

The only difference in the cases would be that the flash hole was opened up with one of the uniformers.

Cheers,

Rick

I havent enlarged primer pockets in a 6x47 yet, but I did play with a bunch of BR cases a while ago. I had a realy good accurate load out to 1000yds with std flash holes, then though I might get one of those flash hole uniformers and improve it further. The accuraccy went down as I increased flash hole size. I used 2 different uniformers, one took the hole out to about .063", the other was closer to .068-.069". The larger the flash hole the more accuracy suffered. The velocity came down a tad, so I increased powder load to bring the velocity back up, but it still wasnt quite as good at long range.I dont touch lapua small flash holes now.

rooshooter,

Thanks very much. That is precisely the information I was wondering about. I will follow you advice and leave well enough alone.

Cheers!

Hi Vince,

Sorry I may not have been clear with the question. What I am interested in is whether anyone has used current production cases which have the small primer and opened up the flash hole to the "standard" size rather than the smaller PPC size flash hole to compare accuracy, velocity or extreme spread.

The only difference in the cases would be that the flash hole was opened up with one of the uniformers.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick,

I do not shoot F-class but do shoot High Power silhouette. My hunter gun is chambered for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. I started with the standard flash hole in a lot of 500 cases. After load development with R-15 with an ES of 40 I used a K&M flash hole uniformer to open the flash hole on 20 cases. With the same load using Remington 7-1/2 BR primer my ES is now below 20 and accuracy holds 1/2 MOA out to 500 meter. Maybe I could do better but this is acceptable for silhouette. I now have all of my case processed with the larger flash hole.

Good luck Paul

Not sure if this will help, but I found it interesting/curious at least...

When I got my 6-6.5x47L going, I ordered a PPC flash hole uniformer from Russ Hayden Shooting Supply. Already had a 'large' sized one, and just wanted to make sure the holes were all nice and perfect. Being Lapua brass, I didn't expect it to do much.

I was fairly surprised when the uniformer started encountering noticeable resistance. Not a lot, but just enough that you could tell. Felt like the hole was *just* a bit undersized compared to the uniformer. At first I thought maybe the order had got mixed up - I double checked the packaging, and even miked the tip of the cutter - 0.062". I think the hole size for PPC is what, 0.060"? So the cutter was just taking a bit off the hole, and chamfering it a smidge in the process. As I progressed through the box of brass (and on through my Lapua 6mm BR brass - now 6 Dasher brass), I noticed that the amount of resistance - and brass shavings produced - varied considerably. I didn't do much velocity testing 'before', so I can't really do a good cause-n-effect comparison, but I do think those flash holes needed cleaned up. Opened up all the way to 0.080", perhaps not. But opened up to a uniform size, yes.

YMMV,

Monte

Flash hole sizes

Monte.
I had exactly the same experience with Lapua 6mmBR and 6.5X284 cases. A little resistence and a little brass. I have no data to say whether this matters one way or another but I uniform them to be on the safe side. On the other hand, this was nothing like what I found with some Federal 308 GMM brass. I had to put pliers on the uniformer to clean those up.

Back