6.5x47 lapua ya or na

M

mr10ringhuey

i would like some personal thoughts on 6.5x47L. Been looking for a round for a project i'm going to be starting soon, and am looking hard at 6.5x47L thanks

well no set purpse set right now just looking for something a little diffrent for project and accurate at range my next choice is 25-06 just looking for someone who has loaded it and shot it to give me a few thoughts on 6.5x47L

i guess i'm not set on any thing yet but i'm looking for some thing in the 6-6.5 mm range and not some thing on the local gun shop shelf i'm looking for a round which is inharently accurate and not a barrle killer because i shot alot i've done some reading on 6.5x47 lapua and have taking a likin to it but never messed with it just looking for some thoughts on it too

I have had a6.5x47 L for 3 years now and really like it . It is a real hard hitting deer rifle and it has shot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I use 130 grain bullets, and H4350 powder in a 8 twist 30 inch barrel on a custom action.
besides all that it is really fun to shoot.

Rick

You might want to look into a 6x47L. I really like mine! I shoot Berger 105's out of a 30 inch 1x8 barrel. Very accurate and easy to load for.

I have a 30 BR, 30x47, 6.5x47 and 6.5x284 and I enjoy shooting them all. I recently started shooting the 6.5x47L at 100, 300 and 600 yards. Both my 6.5's are no turn (skim), but I find the 6.5x47 easier to shoot in a light gun. I do not have a 6BR to compare it to, but I would give it a double YA.

Ben

I just reread my earlier post and when i said 1.5 inch groups @ 100 yards i meant 1.5 inch groups @ 600 yards. Old eyes and fat fingers you know.

Rick

I just reread my earlier post and when i said 1.5 inch groups @ 100 yards i meant 1.5 inch groups @ 600 yards. Old eyes and fat fingers you know.Rick

This makes more sense. I have been fireforming brass for my new Kreiger 6.5x47 Lapua barrel. It's been shooting 1/2in to 3/4 in groups @ 100 yards. I found out it needs to be bedded. Rem 700 with the syn stock and alum bedding. The action has been blue printed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off Topic - But Hey ??

Both my 6.5's are no turn (skim), but I find the 6.5x47 easier to shoot in a light gun.

Ben, will you elaborate on this for a rookie please ? A comment made in a previous thread on this BB asked why anyone would neck turn a fired case. I have the K&M and want to standardize the OD of my fired cases in my no turn neck/chamber. :)

Thanks.

thanks everyone i'm all most done with ar build and will be starting bolt gun next not sure what will be shooting out of it but list of 6 to 6.5 getting shoter just which one not sure yet

My first 6.5x47 build was a 28" Krieger bbl'd. AR10 based on DPMS receivers. Though it's a bit of a beast to carry & maneuver, it's also very reliable & accurate. I'd already built myself three 6x47s (bolt rifles), and wanted to try the 6.5mm parent case; results with the gas gun were so encouraging that I chambered & fitted a 30" Bartlein med. Palma to a BAT 3L LR prone rifle, and a 28" Krieger sendero to an Eliseo RTS tubegun. Both these rifles shoot 130-142gr. bullets very accurately. The RTS is my go-to XC HP rifle, and the BAT has been very satisfying in several 600-1000yd. any/any prone matches.

I think the 6.5x47 would fill the niche you've described as well as - if not better than any other currently available cartridge. Bbl. life looks to be truly excellent, based on what I've seen through a Hawkeye borescope used on four of my own 6.5x47 bbls. Recoil is very manageable over the course of a long day of shooting, and accuracy is excellent. As long as you don't expect 6.5x284 velocities out of the Lapua case, you should be well-served by a 6.5x47.

Back