6.5 bullets

K

Kyle

I am looking for a 600 yard bullet. I was wondering if any of you were having particularly good luck with a specific bullet. I have been looking at the 140gr a-max. Any info would be greatly appriciated.
Kyle

I was going to say got to

http://www.international-benchrest.com/

click on the MATCH REPORTS, then LONG RANGE, & look at equipment lists, which include bullets used. But a lot of the reports don't seem to have equipment lists.

I took a look at a few anyway, and the little that I saw for 6.5 used the Sierra's & Berger's that you find at 1,000 yard matches. Also used at 1,000 yards are Clinch River, but they are less common -- Greg is a small manufacturer, and the bullets can be a bit harder to get.

The A-maxs have had a history of being , well, inconsistent. Hornady claims to have been working on that, but long-range brenchrest shooters are apt to stick with what has worked in the past, so any return to test the A-max's will probably be a slow one.

You might take a look at the NBRSA 600 yard match results. I believe some NBRSA shooters on the west coast are using the smaller 6.5s with good results; maybe they have match listings showing A-max performance.

FWIW

Kyle - What is your 6.5 caliber? My 6.5-284 does well with 142 SMK's and 139 gr. Lapuas. None of the 140 grainers shot well in either barrel I have had on this Savage 112 action.

I ended up with a .264 winchester mag in a fluted 700 rem cdl. I purposely didnt say that to begin with because I didn't want the barrell burner ridicule. the 142 sierras are shooting well, the problem now is brass. The last bag I bouoght was horrible. The flash holes are pear shaped and many are off center, some of the pockets are so tight I am scared to try and seat a primer. It was rem brass and when I took it back the kid at the store said that it wouldnt make any difference. I am in the process of bedding, and making some brass form norma 7 remington brass. By the way rem new trigger is a real sweet heart once you get it right.
Thanks
Kyle

Back