50 or 56mm

swd

I'm looking at buying a new Nightforce 5.5x22 for my tactical/ Fclass rifle. What are your thoughts between the 50 and 56mm objective?

Nightforce are particularly clear scopes. Here in Australia, most of the guys who bought the 56s are fitting them with baffles to cut down the light (which touches up the sharpness a tad). The 50 already accepts less light & is priced more attractively.

If I had the cash in my pocket, I'd go for the bigger lens for its intrinsic superior optics, then fit a rerstricter to cut down on light & sharpen up my depth of field - and to give myself some flexibility to shoot in somewhat lower light conditions.

swd

I use 12-42 56mm BR NFs for LR BR but I put a 3.5-15 50mm NSX on my multi-application TR type for lower scope position over the bore, better head position-cheek weld and less weight, less top heavy handling off a bipod. For your application(s) I suggest a 8-32 NSX 50mm. The extra available power might be preferable for F-Class.

Greg

I have fitted a 35mm baffle to my NF 56mm scope which I use in realy bright miragey days. I am switching to a smaller scope, both narrower, and hopefully shorter. F class is not shot at night, too bright a picture is hard to read mirage, and most of all, a big wide scope blocks my view of the flags on the RHS of the range when watching flags with my left eye.(While right eye is watching target for mirage through scope)

Back