,473 head with Whisper ballistics.

tjensen

Hi.

I have this action. With að ,473 face. ,308 30/06 etc.
Then I have this .30 cal barrel. Dont remember the twist but it was on a ,308 I once had.

I want to make a rifle with the ,300 Whisper ballistics and only use subsonic loads.
Single shot, no problems there.

I allready cambered it for .308 Win. But can´t see that as usefull for subsonics.

Any idea of another cartridge?
Would rather not go to the trouble of bushing the bolt head for a smaller case head.

So?

Hi.

I have this action. With að ,473 face. ,308 30/06 etc.
Then I have this .30 cal barrel. Dont remember the twist but it was on a ,308 I once had.

I want to make a rifle with the ,300 Whisper ballistics and only use subsonic loads.
Single shot, no problems there.

I allready cambered it for .308 Win. But can´t see that as usefull for subsonics.

Any idea of another cartridge?
Would rather not go to the trouble of bushing the bolt head for a smaller case head.

So?
The 30BR would seem the obvious choice. I know there are some people shooting them at subsonic velocities. I'd think you could load it down to Whisper speeds.

I like that idea. That´s an accurate cartridge.
But maybe not when loaded down to Whisper velocities, who knows?

There is a "Whisper" in .338 using 300 grain bullets, made on the 7mm Rem BR case -- essentially the same as the .30 BR -- that gets supersonic velocities. In other words, for subsonic rounds, the .30 BR is a big case.

You need something with the capacity of the 221 Fireball. Sounds like a wildcat to me... The .30-30 & 41 Mag have rims a bit big, but could be turned down. The 6.5 Arisaka has the right rim size, but is a bit big in the body. Or maybe your extractor would pick up smaller case head, like a PPC, .357 Max, something like that.

Well like I said, don´t want to go to to much trouble.
This is going te be a fun rifle. Lot of shooting and no rim or neck turning.
It´s a mauser so a smaller rim is just to much trouble..

I don't know that I would go through the trouble to rechamber the barrel. 10 grs. of Trailboss, plus or minus a little to match your barrel, and a hornady 170 gr. 30-30 bullet work well in a 308Win. The trick is to use pistol primers.

Dave

No you´re not wrong.
But that Trailboss load, sounds good.
Do I need filler for that?

no filler required. Depending on your barrel your load may be +-.3 gr. of 10 grs. If sound suppression is important stay on the slow side, 950 fps. If down range energy is important bump it up to just below going supersonic.

Back