40XB questions

6mmBR

40XB Questions
Figured I'd post here rather than F Class since I don't think many rimfire shooters would look at the other forum.

If you have a 40XB non CMP version and want to shoot competitively… the new F Class rimfire…who (gunsmith) would you recommend to rebarrel?
What barrel would you recommend? Length ? Contour ? Grooves? Twist ? (rifle may weigh 18.18 lbs.)
What chamber recommendations ? (20 shots on record target)
Stock...I am planning on using a Master Class prone stock.
Currently has a blue-printed Jewell trigger at 1.5 oz.
Scope…Course of fire is 50 yds./meter, and 100 yds./meter… a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR is on it now. Or swap out with a NF NXS 12x42 ?
Ammo… I realize this is the important part !! I would like to be able to use Eley and Lapua, plus practice with Wolf. Someplace I read that the brass isn’t the same length between these. This would also come into play with the chamber. Is there a great compromise for this and still be able to shoot ? Or do you have to stick with one brand to be competitive?
What have I missed in putting a very able accurate precision rifle together ?

Thanks again !!

They have matches in Redding monthly during the summer. I'm just outside of Hershey. Plus might go to Ohio for the Smallbore Nationals in July I believe.

Not to sure about F-Class BUT one of the Best 40X Gunsmiths is Gene Dave and he in Ohio

Good Luck

Jim

40XB Questions
Figured I'd post here rather than F Class since I don't think many rimfire shooters would look at the other forum.

If you have a 40XB non CMP version and want to shoot competitively… the new F Class rimfire…who (gunsmith) would you recommend to rebarrel?
What barrel would you recommend? Length ? Contour ? Grooves? Twist ? (rifle may weigh 18.18 lbs.)
What chamber recommendations ? (20 shots on record target)
Stock...I am planning on using a Master Class prone stock.
Currently has a blue-printed Jewell trigger at 1.5 oz.
Scope…Course of fire is 50 yds./meter, and 100 yds./meter… a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR is on it now. Or swap out with a NF NXS 12x42 ?
Ammo… I realize this is the important part !! I would like to be able to use Eley and Lapua, plus practice with Wolf. Someplace I read that the brass isn’t the same length between these. This would also come into play with the chamber. Is there a great compromise for this and still be able to shoot ? Or do you have to stick with one brand to be competitive?
What have I missed in putting a very able accurate precision rifle together ?

Thanks again !!

Just a thought, if your planning to spend that much on a 40X action, why not just go full custom. I would keep my commercial 40X in tact, because its always worth $$$. Making a customized shooter out of it, won't make it worth anymore. I would look at the Stiller / Holeshot arms Trident or 2500X. Nothing wrong with the 40X, but by the time a good smith gets it the way they want it, you may have more into it that a new action cost. 40Xs have been known to be warped, the action is threaded 1.062, most smiths will want to bushing it down to .750-16, more in line with all other custom actions, to allow use of .900 or under barrels. The Stiller actions require little blueprinting, which in turn, reduces the cost the smith work. They also use a Remington pattern trigger hanger, so you can use your Jewel in it. JMO, good luck with you endeavor.

George

You might want to call Bob White at The Shooter's Corner in New Jersey. He gave me some good recommendations regarding my .22 RF Build. I wonder if Gordon Eck would work on a 40X Action?

Bob

John Langley in Ohio would be another that I know works on 40x's.

I fully agree with Hozzie ... John Langley would be an excellent choice for a gunsmith.

Not familiar with rimfire F class, but John Langley built two of the top nine rifles used in the PSL Indoor competition at the Barn in December. Donald Hamblin was 3rd and George Donovan 9th. Both were using Muller 8 groove barrels. Donald Hamblin has been kicking butt at matches this past season, and he's only been competing less than two years. He also won the "Main Event" outdoors ($2,500.00 prize money) in St. Louis. John

Listen to what George told you. OR buy any number of decent used guns that will be more than capable for your purpose for far less money, and you avoid spending more than you'd guess on the 40X only to take a major beating if you ever want to sell it.
Most guys only come to this realization after they screwed up.

After talking with a few folks that have left PM's... it's looking like I'm going to take some of the good advice posted here and listening to others...going to try the 2500x and a Shillen ratchet barrel.

George...What needs to be done to the 2500x ?

What barrel contour is recommended?
Thanks again

In my experience nothing needs to be done to the 2500X action. It's ready to go. As to barrel contours, that's a matter of personal preference unless you are trying to make a certain weight class.

For barrel contour...rifle will be allowed 18 pounds.

You need to be careful here. A big barel is a less than easy to tune barrel. A blank about .900" ( the majority of what Shilen make) is pretty common.
You want more weight, you pick a dense, heavy, wood stock although truth be told, very little advantage going over 12-14 pounds.

Your next major decision is deciding who to build it. Forget about most smiths that build centerfire that will occaisionally build a 22. If you're spending bucks on componants, hire somebody that knows about 22's.
Visit some sites and you come up with a good 1/2 dozen 22 guys, especially if you want to pack stuff up and mail it out.
Based on your location you'd be hard pressed to do better than Gordon Eck in the Catskills, a pretty fair, no BS guy. Has done quite a few 2500 based guns. Run that, or anything else by Jerry Stiller if you get your action directly from him.
Good luck.

Last edited:
After talking with a few folks that have left PM's... it's looking like I'm going to take some of the good advice posted here and listening to others...going to try the 2500x and a Shillen ratchet barrel.

George...What needs to be done to the 2500x ?

What barrel contour is recommended?
Thanks again

I think your headed in the right direction, as for barrel contour, the #7 would be my pick, if your looking to add weight and not all that interested in a tuner. It mimics the 40X contour and is HEAVY, no tuner or at best, a really light one is all that needed. Otherwise I would go with the .900 straight and keep it under 22" my personal favorite. JMO

Several really good Smiths mentioned already, my advice would be contacting Don Blue in Orange Va. he has had great success with the Trident and 2500X and your turn around time may be a great deal less, than the better known guys. Again JMO, as I know nothing about F class, so I do not know exactly what your looking for. From what Don tells me, the 2500X does not require any major blueprinting and he can do the tuner work as well. Anyway, hope your project turn out great for you.

George

Back