40x

scott1119

I have a Remington 40x chambered in 17 Remington and Im wondering if it can be converted over to 22lr using the same barrel.

No, it can't be done. Advise you sell, or trade it for something you like.
F1

Yes it can be done, but getting the barrel rebored and regrooved would be very expensive. Wayne

And, that would be on top of the price of a custom shop 40x, and a considerable loss in resale value.
F1

It would be better and cheaper to sell the .17 and buy a 40x rimfire.

Hal

Last edited:
I'm confused because it is a .17 now. That's smaller than a .22 is it not? The chamber might be bigger but the rifling is not.

The .17 Remington was introduced in 1971 by Remington Arms Company for their model 700 rifles.

It is based on the .222 Remington Magnum case necked down to .172 in (4.37 mm), with the shoulder moved back.[3][4] It was designed exclusively as a varmint round, though it is suitable for smaller predators. There are those such as P.O. Ackley who used it on much larger game, but such use is not typical.

Of course it _can_ be done.

Since this thread has gotten very confusing....(I'm not arguing with any of the answers :) ) .... let's put a price on it.

I've bored and lined a few, and am familiar with the 40X bolts in RF and CF so I'll get in on the side of "sure, it can be done.."

I'm seeing a cost factor of around $1400-1900.00 if I were to do it, depending on how it's accomplished. It'll either have a ring at the muzzle or will look like a 6mm at the muzzle, other than that it'll look like it never left your house. You may or may not have an extra bolt to use as a paperweight.

There is also cutting the 40X receiver for the mid bolt RF lugs to consider,
it's a lot easier to convert a RF 40X receiver to CF as the lug recesses are already cut on all I have looked at.
As someone earlier suggested it would be much better and cheaper to sell the 17 and buy a 40x RF.
Dave

I suspect that the OP was funnin' us. It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to do such a conversion. It's possible that the OP came into possession of a 40x via an inheritance. I hope that he will become an informed hobbyist, and continue to join us on this forum.

Back