Liseo

Hello guys
I have a custom 338 LM rifle

I'm not getting good groups. I can not get groups below .9 moa, 100 m.

With the rifle from a friend in the same caliber, I can do .5 MOA.

It would be the rifle of my friend above average or mine is that it is bad?

What would be the expected accuracy for a custom gun in this caliber, with adjusted reloads?

Not many rifles in this caliber to compare here. Any help is welcome

Thanks

How many rounds on the barrel? Throat length in both rifles? Twist rates? Some of the rifles built for long range dont shoot well at 100, need to try at 300. Rifles we built for 600 could shoot 1/2moa at that distance, but same load might be 3/4 - 1moa at 100. Bullets were spinning too fast and needed to "go to sleep"

Milgunsmith

120 rounds down the barrel.

Chamber is 338 LM Tactical match, 1/10 tw Bartlein barrel. My friend rifle is a TRG 42 with 1/12 tw. Dont know exact throat lengh

Will try at 300, and reduce the velocity to 2750-2800 fps for 250 grains SMK. Now I am getting 2950 fps with the 29 inches barrel

Thanks

I have been known to shoot a lot more than120 rounds finding a good load.

You are close. Could be bedding. Distance from rifling. Powder selection and amount.

Did you shoot your buddies ammo.

Have him load your ammo. Stranger things have happened. I had a die offset the neck once.

Have your buddy shoot yours.

You didn't say what power scope. Kenny

Keny

My scope is NXS 8-32X56 with Badger MAX 50 rings

As I live in Brasil, not so many components choices. We have only one powder suitable for this caliber. Isnt viable bring powder from USA to Brasil. Bullets and brass is possible

The rifle assembly is fine, bedding seems OK. This gunsmith( from USA ) assembled other rifles who are very good shooter. Dont believe the problem is in the rifle. Will try removing the muzzle break (APA) and see what happens. (in addition to a bruised shoulder...lol...)

This half year I plan to travel to USA and bring several different bullets (Berger, Hornady and Lapua) to find one who work better.

I dont think id try shooting that without the brake. Waste of components and lots of pain to come. The brake is not the problem.

Hi Dusty

Yesterday I took the rifle to the range.. A changed two things at once, so dont know what of two affected the accuracy,if one or another or both.

I changed the dies, as with mine the run out was .005" and with the new, the run out is .002" and removed the muzzle break.

I have sent only 11 rounds down range, one for sight in ( the bullet striked 2 inches low)

The first 5 shots I got 4 rounds in half inch, but one opened to .7"

The last 5 shoots give me a .35" group, (dont measured, estimated)

I came home with a smile on face and a sore shoulder;)

20150124-0001_zps491e31dc.jpg

Attachments

• 20150124-0001.jpg
    20150124-0001.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 207
I doubt the brake is affecting anything if its installed correctly so try it again with the brake and new die and see if that was it. Ive seen stranger things for sure

most likely not the issue but try swapping out the scope. Maybe that magnum recoil is just to much????? Other than that I think Dusty has the right idea. try different bullets and bullet weights. lee

Hope soon I can try another bullets brands. About the scope, dont sure if my Leupold 45X or 8,5-25X50 will handle the recoil

Back