338 lapua or 338 lapua improved?

H

hogwild

I did lots of searching and founds all kinds of good info and knowledge on this site but did not really find an answer for my situation. For an elk rifle which would be a better choice between the two, the 338 lapua or 338 lapua improved? I currenly have a 338-378 accumark that is worthless accuracy wise so I'm going to have it made into a 338 lapua. I will be using a 27" #6 Lilja barrel. Thanks for any input between the 2 choices.

338 Lapuua or 338 Lapua improved

I have chambered rifles in both cartridges for customers and would lean towards the 338 Lapua version.
The Improved version rifle utilized a 35 degree shoulder and tight neck requiring turning case necks. The rifle was intended to be a 1500/2000 yard varmint rifle utilizing 1000 yard BR technology. The reloading dies required a special sizing reamer for FL sizing and sending the Newlon die blank off for nitriding. Neck and seating dies were done with the chamber reamer. The rifle is superbly accurate, but the total cost of dies was prohibitive for most purposes.
The Lapua Mag rifle was a rebarrel of a Sako TRG and intended for long range plinking. The reamer was tightened up in some dimensions, but uses standard loading dies. The customer sent me a picture of a him holding the rifle and standing by a 1200 yard swinger that had a fist sized 5 shot group on it. The barrel on this rifle was a Hart slightly heavier than stock and was put on mainly to solve a fouling problem with the factory chrome moly barrel. Depending on the conditions, I would consider this rifle to be a legitimate 1000 yard elk rifle.

I agree with the Lapua version over the AI version for hunting.

You MAY be able to buy ammo for the Lapua version but NOT the other.

Just something to consider.

Thanks guys. It seems the 338 LI would be lots of extra and costly deminishing returns for my needs when the 338 lapua is already there.

I have chambered rifles in both cartridges for customers and would lean towards the 338 Lapua version.
The Improved version rifle utilized a 35 degree shoulder and tight neck requiring turning case necks. The rifle was intended to be a 1500/2000 yard varmint rifle utilizing 1000 yard BR technology. The reloading dies required a special sizing reamer for FL sizing and sending the Newlon die blank off for nitriding. Neck and seating dies were done with the chamber reamer. The rifle is superbly accurate, but the total cost of dies was prohibitive for most purposes.
The Lapua Mag rifle was a rebarrel of a Sako TRG and intended for long range plinking. The reamer was tightened up in some dimensions, but uses standard loading dies. The customer sent me a picture of a him holding the rifle and standing by a 1200 yard swinger that had a fist sized 5 shot group on it. The barrel on this rifle was a Hart slightly heavier than stock and was put on mainly to solve a fouling problem with the factory chrome moly barrel. Depending on the conditions, I would consider this rifle to be a legitimate 1000 yard elk rifle.

Agreed----same situation for me. One sporter and one competition rifle in the Improved version and in a couple of AI 338's in the regular configuration. Not really worth all of the effort in retrospect.

For "just" elk hunting, a 338 Win Mag or even 338 RUM should be more than enough shouldn't it? Isn't a 338 Laupa improved a little overkill for elk?

Back