338 for F-CLASS

P

paul t

Hello all, Interested in finding out is there many 338 Lapua mag rifles been used for f-class and are they winning their fare share of matches, Shot a TRG in 338 and was impressed with the rifle and i hear barret make a 338 LM, Is any of thease used for F-class, paul.

F class rules don't permit muzzle brakes & without one, the .338 tends to be a mite punishing on the user during a full course of fire. It tends to find a home in disciplines where less concentrated shooting is the standard.

338 and F-class

F class rules don't permit muzzle brakes & without one, the .338 tends to be a mite punishing on the user during a full course of fire. It tends to find a home in disciplines where less concentrated shooting is the standard.
John could a suppressor be used with the 338 in F-class, paul.

Some ranges including Butner allow only .30 caliber and less. No muzzle brakes.

The NRA rules allow a Match Director to limit caliber/power to respect Range safety issues and limtations. I don't think Suppressors will be allowed as everyone knows they are a backdoor muzzle brake and then there are all the ATF stuff to deal with and some states (such as my own) don't allow us to shoot them for any reason, so you could never have a level playing field.

The only .338 I've seen used at a match was one of our local club 600yd matches where the match director (me) lets braked rifles shoot alongside in the interest of getting enough people to make the match interesting.

The guy had a Sako action in .338 LM w/ a long Lilja barrel and an AR-30 'tank' brake on it - very nice, and very accurate gun. You could see the blast wave wildly flapping the lid on his ammo box every shot. Pretty sure he wouldn't want to fire that many rounds (~70) in a day without a brake. Even if it was weighted up to just under the 22# limit. Then again, recoil doesn't bother some people - me, I'm a wuss :rolleyes:

I kind of got a chuckle out of it... the guy was obviously enjoying himself, and we have enough room relative to our turnout that I was able to put him down on one end where nobody other than his scorer (who wore plugs *and* muffs) got abused by it. What made me chuckle was that he thought that big cruise-missile bullet could plow thru the wind with indifference. Turns out it could shoot an '8' just about as easily as my wittle Savage 10FP w/ a 27" 6mm BR barrel shooting 107gr SMKs... :D

Sometimes you just can't buy points; occasionally you actually have to pay attention to the conditions ;)

The only .338 I've seen used at a match was one of our local club 600yd matches where the match director (me) lets braked rifles shoot alongside in the interest of getting enough people to make the match interesting.

The guy had a Sako action in .338 LM w/ a long Lilja barrel and an AR-30 'tank' brake on it - very nice, and very accurate gun. You could see the blast wave wildly flapping the lid on his ammo box every shot. Pretty sure he wouldn't want to fire that many rounds (~70) in a day without a brake. Even if it was weighted up to just under the 22# limit. Then again, recoil doesn't bother some people - me, I'm a wuss :rolleyes:

I kind of got a chuckle out of it... the guy was obviously enjoying himself, and we have enough room relative to our turnout that I was able to put him down on one end where nobody other than his scorer (who wore plugs *and* muffs) got abused by it. What made me chuckle was that he thought that big cruise-missile bullet could plow thru the wind with indifference. Turns out it could shoot an '8' just about as easily as my wittle Savage 10FP w/ a 27" 6mm BR barrel shooting 107gr SMKs... :D

Sometimes you just can't buy points; occasionally you actually have to pay attention to the conditions ;)
Very good point there, I shot a TRG 338 a while back it had a sako brake found rifle very accurate, the backstops were taking a bit of a bashing along with my sholder but injoyed the shooting.:D

Back