30x47lapua

skeetlee

I am fixing to order a 30x47Lapua finish reamer. I am a little unsure on the free bore that will be needed for the 112 to 120 gr bullets. I know the zero FB is still quite popular in the 30BR. Would the zero FB also be required in the 30x47 Lapua? thanks Lee

I am fixing to order a 30x47Lapua finish reamer. I am a little unsure on the free bore that will be needed for the 112 to 120 gr bullets. I know the zero FB is still quite popular in the 30BR. Would the zero FB also be required in the 30x47 Lapua? thanks Lee

Unless you intend to use [7-8 ogive] bullets, longer than 1.16" long, or, made using jackets of 1.150" or, longer, you do not need over 0.010" of free-bore - this presumes the typical 1.5 Deg. (3.0 Deg. included) throat angle.

When I obtained my initial 30 Cal. reamer (30x47HBR) from Dan Green (Forgreen's Tool Mfg., Inc.), I sent three dummy rounds, loaded with 150Gr. Chism 10X FB bullets, seated with the base about 0.62 above the (outside) neck/shoulder junction - the reamer came with a 0.010" free-bore . . . that has worked for all bullet weights/lengths for which I consider this cartridge suitable - that is, up to 165 Gr. ;) For the shorter jacketed bullets, I prefer ZERO free-bore. RG

What difference is there between a .30x47 Lapua and the original .30x47 that was used in hunter class prior to the 6.5x47 Lapua brass introduction? I have a reamer print for the pre Lapua reamer, but not for the .30x47 Lapua.

What difference is there between a .30x47 Lapua and the original .30x47 that was used in hunter class prior to the 6.5x47 Lapua brass introduction? I have a reamer print for the pre Lapua reamer, but not for the .30x47 Lapua.

Mike, the only differences between my two 30x47 reamers is that the original (Forgreen's) reamer cuts a 0.466" web diameter (.200" ahead of the BF) - as at that time, Win. .300 Savage brass was the norm - and has a somewhat longer neck; the Henriksen 30x47 LAPUA reamer cuts a .4725" web diameter. Other than the web diameter differences, the newer LAPUA version is pretty much a clone of the "old" 30x47 HBR.

The only real difference is that, for most people, it's much easier to make brass using the LAPUA version - simply neck-up, trim, turn and shoot. The Henriksen and Forgreens's "Go" gauges are within 0.001". Even prior to necking-up, my LOT of LAPUA 30x47 brass is about 1mm short of 47 - Hugh Henriksen addressed that issue with the neck/OAL for his LAPUA version! :eek::) RG

Doc
inbox is now clean. thanks for the heads up.

Randy
do you recommend the Henricksen reamer print over PTG or JGS ? Also, can I make the 112's 7 ogive work with a .010 freebore? it would be nice to have this reamer work with any bullet up to a 150gr. If possible. I guess I can always just throat the FB longer if need be. maybe the zero FB is the better idea? thanks a bunch. Lee

Mike, the only differences between my two 30x47 reamers is that the original (Forgreen's) reamer cuts a 0.466" web diameter (.200" ahead of the BF) - as at that time, Win. .300 Savage brass was the norm - and has a somewhat longer neck; the Henriksen 30x47 LAPUA reamer cuts a .4725" web diameter. Other than the web diameter differences, the newer LAPUA version is pretty much a clone of the "old" 30x47 HBR.

The only real difference is that, for most people, it's much easier to make brass using the LAPUA version - simply neck-up, trim, turn and shoot. The Henriksen and Forgreens's "Go" gauges are within 0.001". Even prior to necking-up, my LOT of LAPUA 30x47 brass is about 1mm short of 47 - Hugh Henriksen addressed that issue with the neck/OAL for his LAPUA version! :eek::) RG

About the same difference as a 6 BR reamer for Remington brass before the Lapua 6 BR brass came out. I'll have to check my reamer print to see what the .200 datum line measurement is on my reamer. I checked my .30x47 reamer print and its .471" at the .200 datum line, .4736" at the head, .455" at the shoulder with a length of 1.5045 from base to the neck shoulder junction. 1.855" from base to end of neck. .332" neck diameter with a 0 freebore length from the end of the 45 degree bevel at the shoulder mouth to the start of the 1 degree 45' leade. It has the same freebore dimensions as my .30 BR reamer. The case head diameter on a 6.5x47 Lapua case mikes .4685" on the one case I miked. The neck length may be a little long, but it looks like it should work. The reamer print is attached. It's a pretty old reamer being made in 2002.

.30x47.jpg

Last edited:
Doc
inbox is now clean. thanks for the heads up.

Randy
do you recommend the Henricksen reamer print over PTG or JGS ? Also, can I make the 112's 7 ogive work with a .010 freebore? it would be nice to have this reamer work with any bullet up to a 150gr. If possible. I guess I can always just throat the FB longer if need be. maybe the zero FB is the better idea? thanks a bunch. Lee

Lee, yes, a 0.010" free-bore, in combination with a 1.5 deg. throat works well with the 110-117 Gr. bullets, featuring 7-8 caliber [tangent] ogive, which are based upon the .925" long jacket. My first 30x47 barrel, chambered by Guy Chism, had enough free-bore to place the base of his 150 Gr. FB at roughly mid-neck: the 125-130 Gr. bullets, based upon the 1.00" jacket had very little shank in the case-neck. That is why, when I ordered my own reamer, I made the Chism 150Gr. dummies (post above) and had Dan Green grind a reamer to accommodate those dummies - it (0.010" free-bore) has worked very well for everything from 100 - 165 Gr. bullets, based upon jackets ranging from .925" to 1.150" long. RG

About the same difference as a 6 BR reamer for Remington brass before the Lapua 6 BR brass came out. I'll have to check my reamer print to see what the .200 datum line measurement is on my reamer. I checked my .30x47 reamer print and its .471" at the .200 datum line, .4736" at the head, .455" at the shoulder with a length of 1.5045 from base to the neck shoulder junction. 1.855" from base to end of neck. .332" neck diameter with a 0 freebore length from the end of the 45 degree bevel at the shoulder mouth to the start of the 1 degree 45' leade. It has the same freebore dimensions as my .30 BR reamer. The case head diameter on a 6.5x47 Lapua case mikes .4685" on the one case I miked. The neck length may be a little long, but it looks like it should work. The reamer print is attached. It's a pretty old reamer being made in 2002.

View attachment 18783

This reamer should work quite well with LAPUA and/or other suitable cases - Win. 300 Savage, etc.! :cool: I especially like the 1deg-45' leade - a very good match for the 7-8 ogive bullets!;) RG

This reamer should work quite well with LAPUA and/or other suitable cases - Win. 300 Savage, etc.! :cool: I especially like the 1deg-45' leade - a very good match for the 7-8 ogive bullets!;) RG

It's a wonder that it didn't wind up with a small bodied reamer that was too small to work with the current brass. Must have miked Lapua .308 brass to spec the reamer. Not much hunter class interest in my area of the country. So never was used much. I ordered it to build a hunter class rifle for whatever year the Hunter Nationals was held at Raton. Didn't get it done and used the barrel I had on someone else's rifle. He also got the 1000 BIB bullets I'd bought for it. Now I guess the .30x47 is obsolete for NBRSA hunter class since they legalized the .30 BR. Quite a bit of varmint for score shooting in southern Texas.

It's a wonder that it didn't wind up with a small bodied reamer that was too small to work with the current brass. Must have miked Lapua .308 brass to spec the reamer. Not much hunter class interest in my area of the country. So never was used much. I ordered it to build a hunter class rifle for whatever year the Hunter Nationals was held at Raton. Didn't get it done and used the barrel I had on someone else's rifle. He also got the 1000 BIB bullets I'd bought for it. Now I guess the .30x47 is obsolete for NBRSA hunter class since they legalized the .30 BR. Quite a bit of varmint for score shooting in southern Texas.

Last time at Raton, for NBRSA Hunter Nats., was probably 2006. The 30x47 isn't dead yet - many of us still use it and have no plans to change . . . what would we do with the reamers, brass and stuff?:p Of note, in conjunction with the 2013 NBRSA Hunter Nationals, Ron Shultz (Mill Creek Rifle Club) hosted the Mid-Continent VfS Regionals, which enjoyed a healthy turnout of 6PPC and 30 BR toters - VfS winner, Greg Sweezey, employed a 30x47 chambered HV rifle to garner the victory! :eek: Never underestimate the precision capability of a 30x47. :D RG

Back