30x47 brass

is it possible to use rem 7mm08 brass ( i got some lapua brass )to make 30x47
ore is it better to use 300 savage brass
beeing a novice in HBR everything is new for me
so i am looking for a topic on brass preparation
from what i got already from info the barrel is chambered not for the 6.5x47 lapua brass
but for the savage brass

It all depends on

from what i got already from info the barrel is chambered not for the 6.5x47 lapua brass
but for the savage brass

What case your reamer was based on.the .308 family of cases are not the same as the 300 Savage. family. the Savages are smaller at the base than the .308's and you will have click issues if you have a Savage chamber/reamer and are using .308 brass. I know it intimately, as I used .308 Lapua in a 300 savage chamber for a couple years before I bought my own reamer based on Lapua dimensions. It is doable, but you need to crush the Lapua webs right off the bat and be ready to do it again at every firing. A real PIA if you do not have Savage brass available to you

david

but for the savage brass

While it is a little more work, it is doable. The biggest obstacle may be the web diameter (Dia. just above the extractor-groove) of the .300 Savage, vs. the LAPUA brass: the LAPUA brass tends to measure about 0.469" at this point; the .300 Sav. about .463-.464". Therefore, if the chamber was cut with the smaller web diameter in mind (most of the 'old' 30x47 HBR reamers cut a chamber diameter of .466-.467"), the LAPUA brass may result in difficult primary extraction - this even following sizing the webs down - the brass may have a tendency to stay too "fat". Good shootin'! RG

Last edited:
here arethe reamer specs
ruimer.JPG

here arethe reamer specs
ruimer.JPG

Since your print indicates .471", and assuming it was ground to cut, "not less than", this size, you may get by using LAPUA brass. I have come to favor a chamber diameter at least 0.003" larger than the virgin brass diameter, in combination with a size-die, at least, 0.001" smaller than the virgin brass: closer than this can make for less than desirable primary extraction. However, with a somewhat smaller than 'normal' size-die base-diameter, you may find happiness - many of us used to make this work! ;) RG

i will try to make them from the 708 brass can some one explain te way to go ?

size them with my 708 FL die then cut off 5mm from the neck (52 mm-5=47 mm)
then size them with my 30x47 custom bushing die

but then is see that the neck is not strait so i can not cut t to the correct diametre

i need a neck die with an expander i think ?

if

Last edited:
Back