.300 Win. Mag. Load With 210 Grain Berger VLD's?

billt

I was wondering if anyone out there has stumbled on to a sweet load in the .300 Win. Mag. with 210 grain Berger VLD bullets? I'm loading with IMR 4831, but also plan on some loads with Reloader 22. My plan is to shoot these out of both my Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical as well as my Savage 110 FCP-K, seated out to .010 to no more than .020 off the lands.

I just loaded up some Sierra 180 Gr. Matchkings with 71.6 Gr. of IMR 4831. I'm using Federal Gold Medal 215-M Magnum Benchrest Primers with everything. I have high hopes for both of these rifles, so if anyone has an exceptionally good recipe to share, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance, Bill T.

Loads

Have you ever chronoed any of these loads? 71.5 with a 180 is a pretty mild load.

That load is straight out of the Sierra manual, and as listed as "most accurate" with the 180 grain Matchking. It's published at 3,000 FPS and 3,598 Ft. Pounds. Bill T.

I use IMR7828 with the 220gr Sierra MK and get excellent accuracy with 70grs. The charge will be different with the Berger, but not by much and that powder works great.

Use IMR 4350 with the 210 VLD Jammed .015" into the lands Fed 210M primers. IMR 4350 will give you approx. 75-100 fps more velocity over 4831. A bubby and myself used this at Hawks Ridge in 08 to win 3 Factory Matches for score.
Baron

I have been using 76.0 gr. of H 1000 behind a Hornady 208 gr. A Max, which chronographs 2850 fps from a 30" barrel. Quickload shows that Re22 would give more velocity, but H 1000 is a single based powder and one of Hodgdon's Extreme line of temp. insensitive powders. I used to use RE22 for heavy bullets in .243 Win. and 6.5x55, but found it was erratic.

Billt

What your missing is that Vinny tries to keep me on the straight and narrow. That being said- I am at a much higher load for my 300 Win Mag with 180's. I do PUSH them at close to 3200 fps. I also know that lawyers edit all reloading manuals and will NEVER let you load at a higher perhaps more accurate load window. My most accurate window was at 3185 fps.

I also know that lawyers edit all reloading manuals and will NEVER let you load at a higher perhaps more accurate load window.

I'm not so sure about that. I have the first edition Sierra Reloading Manual, first published in 1971, long before this nation went "law suit crazy" with an over population of attorneys. Besides, lawyers couldn't "edit" a reloading manual simply because they have zero knowledge in that department. In 1971 it lists a maximum charge of just 78.0 grains of IMR 4831. It also shows that it develops just 3,000 FPS. The test weapon was a Winchester Model 70 with a 24", 1 in 10" twist barrel back then.

Fast forward to today, and the 5th Edition Sierra Reloading Manual, and they are now showing 3,100 FPS with the same bullet with only 73.8 grains. "Best accuracy" is shown with what I chose, 71.6 grains giving the same 3,000 FPS from a Savage 116FSS with a 26" tube. Very respectable if you ask me. I don't see a need to hot rod target loads. I'll see how these shoot, then work from there. One of the nice things about having 3 weapons in the same caliber, is that if one doesn't like a certain load, the other well may. Bill T.

Back