300 Weatherby velocity

B

bjld

My heavy gun is finally finished and I've tried H1000 and Retumbo with the 225 grain Hornady and 230 grain Berger projectiles.

81.5 grains of Retumbo in my 32" barrel has given me an honest chronographed 3000 fps with no pressure signs: no sticky bolt lift, no ejector mark, tight primer pockets.

The velocity is higher than I expected but I'm happy and now I'm just going to chase accuracy over more speed.

What sort of velocity are other people getting?

Regards

Ben

300 Weatherby

Most of the people at Williamsport shoot the 240 Sierra in the Weatherby or 308 Baer case. They usually shot H4831SC at around 2750 to 2800. The ones that shot the 210 Bergers shot them around 2950 to 3000 with H4831SC. Matt

I'll give you a tip.....RL-25.

Don't worry about the velosity...worry about what shoots best and gives you the best ES numbers.

All of my comp tubes loved RL 25.

My first tube ( a true hummer) shot best around 2700 with the 210 Berger. That tube won me a PILE of wood!!

All the rest are around 2900.

The one tube that didn't make the cut as a "match" BBL got relagated to hunting duties. 3200 FPS with the 230 Berger and a mountin of Retumbo!!

Good luck.

Retumbo...

It does seem like I could just keep pouring in more Retumbo. 82 grains and I'm only at the bottom of the shoulder.

beg, barrow, or steal a pound of RL25. Trust me!! In fact, get 2 five pounders of the same lot #. If you don't like it I will buy it fron you.

Tod

Back