3/8-24 swivel pad screws

Boe

I'm looking for some 3/8-24 swivel pad set screws for my spider chuck. I have 3/8-24 brass tipped screws now that have been working fine up till now. I had a customer bring a barrel in, When I chucked it up to get enough to thread and chamber my screws are on the taper of the barrel. I only have about 30% contact on the brass tips. I thought some of these screws might solve the problem. I have looked all over web and all I can find is 3/8-16

Thanks Boe

Last edited:
I'm looking for some 3/8-24 swivel pad set screws for my spider chuck. I have 3/8-24 brass tipped screws now that have been working fine up till now. I had a customer bring a barrel in, When I chucked it up to get enough to thread and chamber my screws are on the taper of the barrel. I only have about 30% contact on the brass tips. I thought some of these screws might solve the problem. I have looked all over web and all I can find is 3/8-16

Thanks Boe

Boe,

you may have to make your own. Like you i had an similar idea to try to find something pre-made, but was not successful. I came up with a successful design, and after some use i can confrim that it works really well. The soft aluminium creates a larger 'footprint' onto the barrel surface to prevent slipping. It doesnt matter if the barrel surface is tapered or parallel, or even running slightly eccentric.... (like most of us gunsmiths! )The hard steel ball (inserted into the aluminium 'pad') will swivel and pivot freely inside the centre-drilled end of the (hardish) set-screw. I will try to attach a few photos here. I'm still trying to get time to do a full post of this design but have been totally snowed under lately.

Dean.
P1000836.jpgP1000838.jpgP1000969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Dean! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome Eddie. A couple of photos here from the front end. The higher 'pads' here allow a little more ability to 'float' to allow for off-centered bore, as well as accomodating '4-degrees of freedom' (or more??) for dialing in the bore to run true. When you tighten the screws down (with mild pressure) they are always mechanically centered (due to the ball/socket arrangement), and due not cause a stress or bowing effect in the mid-section of the barrel. Dial in once. No slippage.
P1010027.jpgP1010028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back