280AI, Please PM!!

Ackley Improved

Just received a new 280AI.

I am wanting to start load development and need a starting point using H4831. I fireformed a few rounds using max 280Rem charge from reloading book, but was way undercharged!!!

Need to know what others are shooting theirs at with H4831 with the 175/180 grain projectiles, then from there I can at least start a littel lower and work up to that or past depending on my rifles pressure. Also, say if using moly!

Please PM the loads!

Thankyou

Be aware that you may have another issue. Do your new cases go in hard? Do they bottom out firmly on the shoulder? If they do not you may have an overlong chamber. A large percentage of AI chambers out there are done WRONG with too much headspace.

This can lead to erratic ignition, poor sealing around the neck and symptoms similar to undercharge.

al

When you fire form your brass, do it with a reduced load. Your primer pockets won't loosen as quick. A good source for Ai load data is in the Nosler Manual. According to the Nosler Manual, the powder 4831h is 50.0 to 54.0.

Thanks,
Max

Fireforming from 30-06 brass may not be a good idea. The 30-06 case is ,046 shorter than the 280. Regular 280 or 270 brass is a better choice.
I also use the pistol powder/paper method for fire forming. Works very well and saves valuable barrel time. I anneal before I fireform.
Dies for the .280 Ackley are readily available from all the die makers.

My 280AI chamber was cut 11thou too long. Since the guy that did it killed himself not long afterward I guess he had other things on his mind while he was cutting the chamber. Killed himself with another 280AI.

Did the case fail....or the bolt blow out the rear of the action...???? Im surprized that I havnt heard about this.....what did the investigation find???...this is another reason to use shotgun powder rather than a max charge and a bulllet...Roger

should have been more specific. He committed suicide with his 280 not long after he completed my rifle. What I meant was he had more things to think about then doing my rifle correctly.
Mike

Quick update..

Found the real reason why the primers look the way they were. They were not low pressure, but a primer pocket issue.

The primer pockets were 3.21mm deep, and the primers 3.26mm deep. I put it down to new RWS brass and hard to seat primers!!!

All primer pokcets are now cut to 3.31mm deep, so issue is gone!!!

Anyone else had this issue?

CHeers

Back