280 AI Build Thoughts

nmibex

I would like your thoughts on a hunting rifle build. The rifle will be for hunting deer, barbary sheep and elk. After reading this forum for some time I'm pretty well set on a 280AI, Stiller Predator action, and Jewell trigger. My smith likes a Broughton 5C 9 twist barrel at 26-inches. I don't mind the extra weight of a 26-inch barrel. I will probably shoot 140 gr bullets and I'm leaning towards a laminate stock. Any thoughts any of you have on the barrel type, length and twist are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

Dick

I can't remember how many I've built over the years.
1-10 twist, 23-25" long and don't get hung up on a particular bullet weight. You'll spend a lot of time and money trying to force feed a bullet that won't shoot well. The target will tell you what to shoot.
Elk, large target,160 gr. premium bullet. I don't mind giving up some accuracy to get bullet performance on large animals.

Dave Tooly
Tooley Custom Rifles

My 280AI is a 9 twist Lilja IIRC. I had Kiff make me his min spec reamer. It is throated to work with 150s. I would have to pull the print to get the lead angle and throat length. Norma brass works wonderful. I run a 140 Accubond with H4831SC. Super accuracy and so far no of the horror stories that come with a plastic tip bullet. Mine 280AI started life with a 26inch barrel. It did not handle well for me. Had it cut to 23inches only gave up about 80fps. Now it points like a fine shotgun. Very easy rifle to work with, seems to like everything. Superizingly it hated RL22 with 140s and 150s.

Last edited by a moderator:
for what it's worth

I just finished putting one together recently. It has a 24" Pac-Nor factory varmint counter pre threaded Savage barrel. I am currently using 168gr Berger VLD and Ramshot Magnum with Nosler 280 A.I. brass. I was lucky and found a fairly accurate load right off. Work schedule hasn't allowed much for load development. Two antelope and one deer have been taken from 100-250 yds and the bullet has done its job very well. I amvery pleasedwith the system.

Wyatt

I just looked through my notes on my Borden .280AI and do not see any info on the twist. Pretty sure it's a Hart and have shot 140's almost exclusively with it. 26" Long on a 700 action and a McMillan stock in the Winchester Marksman design. I've had this rig since 94' and it's my main go to rig for whitetail and has taken my two best.

N165 has been the powder and recently started using the Nosler AI brass which is cool to bypass the ff stage. Good luck with your new project. I love this round.

pf
<><

I would like your thoughts on a hunting rifle build. The rifle will be for hunting deer, barbary sheep and elk. After reading this forum for some time I'm pretty well set on a 280AI, Stiller Predator action, and Jewell trigger. My smith likes a Broughton 5C 9 twist barrel at 26-inches. I don't mind the extra weight of a 26-inch barrel. I will probably shoot 140 gr bullets and I'm leaning towards a laminate stock. Any thoughts any of you have on the barrel type, length and twist are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

That rifle is gonna get heavy. Don't know what type of terrain you are hunting , but it might be something to lug around after a bit (especially if you are in the mountains). I'd opt for a Mcmillan edge instead of the laminate, a 24 inch barrel, Leupold 2.5-8 in Talley lightweights and call it done....

Dingus

I have two of my own and have built bunches for customers. My oldest one has a Krieger CM #4 contour 1:9" twist finished at 24". It shoots the Nosler 140 gr Partition at 3150 fps into satisfyingly small groups. My later build uses a Lilja stainless #4 contour 1:10" twist finished at 24". It also shoots the 140 Nosler Partition very well, clocking an amazing (to me) 3230 fps. The older rifle is stocked in a Bishop Camo laminated stock and the newer is stocked in a Brown Precision fiberglass stock. The metal on the newer rifle is finished in a tough as nails baked on moly finish and with the stainless barrel and fiberglass stock I call it my "snotty weather rifle."

I like the 24" barrel in this caliber and consider it the best compromise between velocity and accuracy.

The minimum dimension reamer from Dave Manson has a great track record for building accurate 280 AI's.

I have a 280 AI and it is a great caliber. I have used it for deer and elk for several years and never found it lacking. For the whitetail deer down here in Texas I found the best bullet was a Sierra 120 grain loaded hot. I had several one shot kills at a stepped off 350 yards with this bullet. They were all neck shots anyway.

You may not like to hear this but in reflection, I think there is very little difference between the 280 AI, 270 Winchester, 280 Remington, or the 30/06 except you can buy ammo off the shelves for all but the 280 AI. The animals will not know the difference.

Oh well, I would hand load anyway and I am attached to my 280 AI.

Concho Bill

I have a 280 AI and it is a great caliber. I have used it for deer and elk for several years and never found it lacking. For the whitetail deer down here in Texas I found the best bullet was a Sierra 120 grain loaded hot. I had several one shot kills at a stepped off 350 yards with this bullet. They were all neck shots anyway.

You may not like to hear this but in reflection, I think there is very little difference between the 280 AI, 270 Winchester, 280 Remington, or the 30/06 except you can buy ammo off the shelves for all but the 280 AI. The animals will not know the difference.

Oh well, I would hand load anyway and I am attached to my 280 AI.

Concho Bill

I think Nosler is putting out an accubond factory offering for the AI but pretty expensive stuff & not on every corner.

I agree about the other cals and no deer I have killed could tell me the difference between a .270 or 30-06 either. It's just a cool round and kinda neat to have something different at camp.

Now the 7mm lazzeroni, pushing a 120gr at close to swift speeds is something to behold.;)

pf
<><

Hey Paul,

We have not chatted in a while.

I reread my post after I read yours and it was a downer. I like the tone of your two post far better than mine.

You are spot on with the huntin' camp thing. Guys know in their hearts that we are really the go to men on guns and ballistics when we pull something neat and special out of our gun case.:) To me, that has always been a factor in the game.

Now I am really impressed with Dennis's 338/06. I wonder how a 338/06 AI would work?

Concho Bill

Now I am really impressed with Dennis's 338/06. I wonder how a 338/06 AI would work?

Concho Bill

Bill,

Tis the season!! In about 4 weeks, our opener starts. I Still have doves and whitewing on the brain so the deer fever hasn't hit me quite yet...Although, This little cold front is helping me get into the mood!! Heck, we didn't get out of the 70's today and just got back from my boys jr. peewee football game. First time all year where I didn't have sweat running everywhere. :) Almost worth living in south tx again!!

I too was impressed with that gun...I don't think I would go with an AI unless there was a bad stretching issue. One of the main reasons I always liked my improved 280 and why I'll probably get another was how accurate it was and almost NO trimming of cases.;) Those nosler cases ready to go have been a blessing too. I got a tight neck, which I always regretted for a hunting gun and the batch of 50 I got required NO trimming with the .311 Neck.

I have always like the slower / heavier rounds like the 35 whelen, 358 Winchester....I REALLY want a Winchester model 71 too. Tell me that wouldn't be the fun doe slammer with the bolt peep.:cool::D:cool:

Anyway, it was good to hear from you amigo and hope you have a great season. Our drought was pretty bad and am going to set my sites on a monster 8 that has been dogging me for the past 3 years. We have our flyover in about two weeks so we'll see what the counts look like.

Not sure if I shared my last deer with you, but this guy is pretty cool. Only scored in the 150's but was my 2nd 8x8 which is kinda neat to have two 16's on the wall. Long story, but I had him at 50 yards and watched him for 30 mins....ended up pulling the trigger at 315 yards:eek::eek: It was post rut, he was run down and he had an old man face but was skinny and lean looking. Ended up being 6 1/2 years old. :eek: I was gonna let him walk but a hunting buddy snuck up to my hoop and said, "shoot him or I will." Doh...

pf
<><

Attachments

• 2nd16 003.jpg
    2nd16 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 2nd16 002.jpg
    2nd16 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 603
Back