.270 wsm as coyote rifle?

T

Travis C.

I'm looking for another reason for buying another rifle. Question is I would like to SMOKE the vmaxes for long range performance. Barrel life is of no concern because a dedicated rifle doesn't really get shot all that much. Anybody have true experience with this. The realistic approach is to buy the standard .270 and if or when I see the need arise, I could rebarrel the long action into a high performance 6mm "someday". I know that there are other choices out there, but I am only looking at the .270. Also I do reload so I'm asking for a performance standpoint. I do have the .280 already but is in a Rem 725 that is mint, and also a dedicated deer rifle. Really not wanting a debate just a performance.

i think the 270WSM is a great cartridge. i won two rifles chambered for it, 1 for deer, and 1 for prarie dogs. based on the critters ive shot with them, you will likely have severe pelt damage. 90-110gr bullets at extreme velocities are very hard on small animals.

I have one of those Bad Boys

Mine is a Win Mod 70 Classic Laminate . Once I had it accurized it became a star. I can push 110 V-Maxs at about 3,475. Its very accurate. I can push 160 gr Nosler Partions to 3,000.Its works for me:D

coyote rifle

build or buy 25,6.5, wssm or 30 wssm as i have done 270 is too much recoil for coyote hunting to have good accuracy. BILL BRAWAND HUNTING RIFLE WILL SHOOT IN 2 TENTHS WITH RIGHT LOADS 4895 4350 4831 1-14 TWIST IN 25 6.5 1-18 IN 30 WSSM

recoil doesnt seem to make it difficult to accurately hit small critters. we're not talking about a free recoil bench gun.

Travis C.,

I think a 270 WSM would be a great PD rifle. Can you imagine making mince meat out of about 4 or 5 hundred in a days shooting. Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. You could really get out there and touch them. ;)

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

i have had a blast PD shooting with my 270WSM. the comments from the buddy's when you vaporize one are as good or better than the explosive performance on the dogs.

gt40, If I shot my .270 4 or5 hundred times in a day. Id have to have a shoulder transplant. I like my swift shootin varmints. That 270 tears big holes in coyotes Ive shot with it but if your not savin the fur you could shoot em with a 105. Doug

Hi Doug,

I said that about shooting a 270WSM 4 or 5 hundred times in a day :eek: was tongue in cheek. I love my Swift also. It is still king of the laser guns.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: lefty o, I guess you would get a chuckle out of them after shooting that cannon at a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recoil

It's not that the recoil is to much, it's just that most coyote hunters prefer to see their hits.

Therefore even a .243 is approaching just a little to much.

Get what you want.

There is a famous gun writer that claims he shot varmints with a .375 H&H when he was a kid.

Shot a squirrel with 375 H&H

It was cool but all it did was put a small golf ball size hole threw him.

Use Enough Gun!!!!

That's all it did?? Next time use a 50 caliber and reduce your wounding loss!

late post

I have found, if your talking longer range (500+), go with the 135 smk or 140 accubond. Where I shoot the wind blows and 90s and 110s move alot more than the vlds do. You'll also find that every three to five shots you need to let her cool down, unless you are talking Fclass barrel and even then they get plenty hot after one round (20 shots, 30 min). You would burn a barrel out in one day of 500 shot PD shootin

RC

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a 243 WSSM from Dtech on an Ar15 lower ? Very accurate long range coyote gun.

My friend Big Al has a Full Nelson (700 Rem with 4 barrels) I load for Al and have been working with him to get him and the barrels up to speed.

The 223 WSSM has to much powder capacity.
The 25 WSSM is better. Major limitation on all the WSSM and WSM rounds is the lack of Lupua quality brass.
The 270 WSM has to much powder capacity.

None of the above three rounds have came up to the old stand by 25-06 standards and all seem to be even harder on the barrels. And, the 6 MM BR with a good barrel will beat them all out to 500+ yards.

Yes, RECOIL does make a difference. The bullet goes where the barrel is pointed when the bullet exits the barrel, we hope. Barrel movement starts when the firing pin drops. Bigger heavier bullets and more powder = more barrel movement. The more the barrel moves the more difficult it is to have it pointed at exactly the same point when the bullet leaves.

Regards

robert is absolutely correct, you get between 5 and 10 shots before it needs to sit and cool. ive been using 100gr pills, and plan on giving some 110's a try once it warms up, but even with the lighter bullets 500yd headshots on PD pups is fairly easy. cool down periods are when you break out the .223's and 22-250's!

Back