.270 winchester long barrel ?

T

Travis C.

Just curious if a .270 had a 26 or 27 inch barrel what kind of velocity could I expect. I'm wanting to shoot a 110 vmax a ways out there, up to 130 grain bullets. Basically build a Sendero type of rifle without trying to find a used Sendero. I could try the 25-06 but the downrange performance is better with the .270. Also am I giving up anything between the winchester action or the remington? I'd like to hear your experiences with this type of thing as this is pretty specific and can't seem to find any answers.

hard to say on that

I've had all different barrel length on the 30 or so i've owned over the past 50 years,from a 27" douglas to a 22" factory,velocity can really vary a lot from barrel to barrel with the same length.The 27" was slower than a factory sako 23.5" with the same loads,and i have an h-s 24" that is faster than the 27" ,so no hard fast rule on speed,but you can shoot the 110's about 3300 in a 24",and the 115 sierra a bit over 3200 with a decent load and no pressure signs.

110 start out faster, but

110s start out faster but the 140s past them up around 400 yds. That's why all the 1k loads go as heavy a possible in any cal, to get the BC and long range performance.
RC

Back