257 AI on M98

PHaxell

Hi all,

Looking at building a 257 Ackley Improved on an M98 action. Anyone have any problems with feeding or anything like that?
Any comments helpful.

Thanks
Peter

Hi all,

Looking at building a 257 Ackley Improved on an M98 action. Anyone have any problems with feeding or anything like that?
Any comments helpful.

Thanks
Peter

It should work ok if you have the extractor altered to chamber with out chunking them down in the mag.
my friend has a 98 mauser that is chambered in 22/250 and it works fine.
I don't think you will have a problem,since the 257 ai is a 8mm necked down anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Just one thing though. Are you saying that it won't work well (or at all) if I want to put a couple in the mag and feed from there? This is a hunting gun and rounds in the mag are important.

Thanks again.
Peter

Thanks for the reply. Just one thing though. Are you saying that it won't work well (or at all) if I want to put a couple in the mag and feed from there? This is a hunting gun and rounds in the mag are important.

Thanks again.
Peter

No-no,it should work well when fed from the mag.
The cases are the same except the Ackley case is a tad Bigger as it is blown almost straight to the shoulder.
The 22/250 works very good.

The 257 AI is NOT an 8mm necked down! With that in mind it will feed through the action with minimal work on rails. I have built 3 or 4 and had no problems.

Jim

Make sure you polish up the feed ramp nice and smooth.
The sharpe shoulder on an improved case design can hang a little if the feed ramp is rough and sticky.

Somebody has got to say it... A 257 Roberts is a 7mm Mauser necked down to 25. A 7mm Mauser is somewhat an 8mm Mauser necked down, there are minor discrepancies, probably due to measuring error as much as anything. Overall length is the same, shoulder position and diameter are the same.

I just recently finished a M98 in 6.5x.284, and would like to say it will not feed properly unless there is two rounds in the mag. A gunsmith could fix this problem, I just haven't had it done yet.

I just recently finished a M98 in 6.5x.284, and would like to say it will not feed properly unless there is two rounds in the mag. A gunsmith could fix this problem, I just haven't had it done yet.

That is a problem with the follower.

Back