.25" LW polygonal slow twist barrel

EdLena

Hey everyone I'm new here and love this site. I'm exited that I'm leaving for the EBR in two days but it will be my first BR competition so I have no idea how I'll do.
I have seriously retuned my .25" AAs510 (where's the glory in shooting an FX like everyone else) to a regulated 900fps shooter with Jsb 33.9g pellets. I have also replaced the shroud with a carbon fiber sleeve and installed, aligned and tuned an air stripper which has really tightened my groups. On a windless day she'll shoot groups sub MOA at 100yds. I learned a lot about doping for the wind but I don't think I'm good enough yet at that to beat the top competitors.
I believe the advantage of the ST barrel is it's slooowww twist rate. Diablo pellets unlike bullets slow down much more quickly but there spin, rpm does not slow down as much relatively. This can lead to over stabilization at long range. Even if you don't see the pellet swirling madly it may still be doing so just enough to throw it off course.
I know LW makes a .25" airgun polygonal barrel with their standard 17.8" twist rate but their site doesn't show a slower spin version. I've read on this forum that some members are using slow twist LW polygonal barrels in competition.
Does anyone know what the slower twist rate is and if they are available in .25" cal. and from whom?

LW will make you a Poly barrel to your specs when you order a batch of 10 barrels (minimum order). I know some people who have placed orders with their particular specs (.177 cal), cherry picked 1-2 barrels and
sold the rest...If I were in your situation I would first talk to the top shooters at the EBR, most of these people have done much experimenting/testing and have very valuable information that will save you
time and money.

A slower TR has its advantages and disadvantages depending on the distance that you intend to shoot and other variables involved like pellet type/design, weight, power level of the gun, etc. then the performance
of the TR will also be affected by the wind in the sense that what sometimes works very well will not work as intended when the wind changes...So again, talk to these EBR top shooters, get a consensus of what you hear and go from there..

Regards,

AZ

Last edited:
Hi Ed:

Were you able to pick some brains at the EBR and get good valuable information about the Twist Ratios/Polygonal barrels?...Since you placed 4th, I don't believe that you need much external advice. ;)

Regards,

AZ

Hey AZ,
Yea it was a FX love fest. I talked to few owners of Daystate and RAW and they pretty much stuck with the standard LW 17.7" TR barrels that came with these expensive rifles.
I have my LW barrel equipped with a carbon fiber sleeve and a Hatsan air stripper. The stripper needs meticulous alignment and adjustment. Before the stripper I was averaging 1.5" groups at 104 yards with light wind and correct doping. It took for ever to find the sweet spot to adjust the stripper to but when I found it it cut my groups in half! That was just one week before the EBR which no doubt was responsible for my results.
I added up everyone's three day score and I would have been in the money but hell, I'm very happy with the results.
So why am I looking for a new barrel. Well you know the accuracy addiction, unless all ten shots go through the same hole no bigger that the pellet diameter I'll be looking to improve.
Ed.

Back