25-06 to 6x284

J

jaybic

Hello,

I have a buddy that would like to make his Rem 700 (25-06 long action) into a 6x284(is this a short or long action, I dont know). Can he just order up a 6x284 barrel and have it put on or are there bolt face size issues or does the action length have a bearing on things. I also seen something about this case having a rebated rim and am not sure what that means exactly. Is it like a .50 beowolf with the smaller case head diameter?

My apologies but this is not something I am an expert on and I am trying to help him get some advice before starting this project.

What kind of issues can he expect to encounter or is there a more suitable action/caliber to start with. This is a hunting rifle if that helps put things in perspective at all.

Thanks for your time and have a great day!:)

Jamie

The bolt face won't pose any problem. They are both the same. The 6x284 is a rebated rim cartridge just as the Beowolf is. Meaning the case body is bigger than the rim. It should work well in a 25-06 long action Remington action. Feeding is not quite as smooth as the longer and thinner cases provide.---Mike

He is good to go with what he has to work with. I had a 6.5X284 built out of a 3006. I am sure he knows he will have to neck down to get to the 6X 284 but it should be just a one step deal using 6.5 brass. I would at least have the action and bolt face squared and the lugs lapped before I spent the cash on a custom barrel installation.
Terry Pohl

There are several good choices. After I shot out two 25-06 barrels on my Rem 40X I switched to 25 BR, 25-08 and 6.5-284 barrels.

The 25 BR is a joy to shoot. @ 300 yards recoil is so light I can see the bullets before they go into the target. The 25-08 has velocity equal to the 25-06 with better precision and less recoil. THe 6.5-284 with the 140 match bullets delivers a lot of energy down range.

Thanks fellas,

I appreciate the insight and it does help. I also appreciate the 6.5x284 ideas but we are coyote contest hunters and the rifles must be 24 caliber or smaller so we cant use the .25 stuff. He is deliberating between a 6x284 and a 22-6mm and a 22-243. We are leaving the AI stuff out of the mix because he doesnt want to have to fire form any brass yet he is still trying to get the fastest, flatest shooting .24 cal rifle he can get. we both currently shoot regular 22-250s and after much research, I am gonna stick with mine as I just cant see a decided advantage of these "supr 22s". At least i my case, I run out of ability at about 400 yards and my regular old 22-250 is not yet out of "smack" or accuracy but if anyone has any suggestions or can show me the definite advantage of any of the previously mentioned rounds, I'm all ears because just like everyone else, I would love to be able to hold "on fur" from 100 all the way to 400 yards.

Thanks again

Jamie

Jamie,

The 24 cal limit is new to me. But mostly I hunt in FL and Tn.

I have a heavy barrel 22-250 AI that is quite good. Generally the AI will give you longer brass life and a slight gain in velocity. I just load and fire a 22-250 case to make the AI cases. Accuracy of the fire form is OK. I also have found that the AI gives better barrel life. This is likely due to the sharper shoulder angle. Recently we made a 260AI barrel. In this one we did see quite an improvement in accuracy. Not sure why but it was there. Also we do get better results with Laupa brass. I have been shooting center fire rifles since 1954. My experience is the 243 is over bore and the shorter cases are better overall. The 6-284 case has too much powder volume. You will get velocity at the expense of precision and barrel life. If you shorten the case it would help.

Using the longer bullets with less drag helps a lot on the trajectory drop and the wind drift. The longer bullets will need more spin, barrel twist.

If you look at the 600 and 1000 yard match results for 2009 & 2010 you will note that many matches and many of the new records are with the 6 MM Dasher which is about the same as a 6 BR AI shooting a 105-108 gr low drag bullet. Hard to beat.

The loads in the BR volume cases generally use 31 to 34 grs of powder. The loads in the 243/308 length cases generally use about 50 grs of powder. The loads in the 284 and 06 cases usually use 58 to 60 grs of powder. More powder = more recoil and the need for longer barrels.

The nice thing about the smaller volume case is with a 13# rilfe, 26" barrel with a muzzle brake you can see the bullet or the bullet trace at 300 yards or better. With my 25 BR I see the bullet as or just before it hits at the 300 yard line and beyond most of the time. This should be the same with the 6 BR.

To get the full value of the larger case capacity of the 284 case you need a longer barrel. My 6.5-284 barrels are 29-31" long. Any shorter and you get too much muzzle blast. Muzzle blast destabilizes the VLD bullets and wrecks they low drag performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
We shoot metallic varmint silhouettes out to 600 yards. I started with a .243 and 107's, went to a 6x47, and now I shoot a 6mmBR. The 105/107gr. 6mm bullets seem to prefer 2900 to 3000 fps, the BR is at the low end and the Dasher is at the top, both of these use just enough powder to move the bullet. Accuracy is everything, the larger cases seem to be too big, plus my .243 went south at 1200 rounds.

you can have too much of a good thing.

i have to agree with the majority here. Yes the conversion would be easy from the 25-06 to the 6mm-284. but that would be a horribly over bore cartridge. the 6mm limitation makes it more difficult, here in northern vermont i hunt yotes on a large power transmission line, and shots often reach past 500. for years i have used a 220 swift for the long stuff, and have payed for it in barrel life, and wind drift. Ive just started using a savage model 16 rebarreled to 260 rem, with a nikon, 4.5-16BDC with amazing results, but unfortuatily the 6mm rule puts that out of your range of choices. For the ranges you describe the 6mm br, 6 dasher, and 6xc would be the most accurate, a little practice with a compensating scope like the nikon bdc or burris mill dot should have you on target every time. If you are dead set on a flat trajectories i might look towarda 243wssm, the short fat cartridge will be inherently more accurate, have less recoil, and i think you will find the shorter action more pleasureable to carry all day. I think you will find velocity to be very close to the 6mm-284. Unfortunatly this would be a diffucult converson for the 25-06 action he has due to the larger rim diameter. however finding a rifle in 243wssm rather than invest in rebarreling, may be a more ecconomical than you think, there are generly a few inexspensive savages in 270, 7mm, or 300wsm on gun broker.com every week that would be very easy conversions, and companies like ER shaw, and Shelin offer very reasonably priced savage drop in barrels, that most any smith can install for under 100 bucks, and with a little coaching many shooters can learn to swap a savage barrel them selves.

Any way just my thoughts on the subject. take them or leave them, as long as your shooting its a good thing.

keep us updated on what you guys decide.

Shoot Straight
Will

What is a "Coyote contest"?

For a flat shooting 6 mm take a look at the .264 Win. necked to .243 that goes by a variety of names.

Good shooting.

I shoot a 6x284 My BBL (26"HART 10"twist) has over a 1000 rnds through it and it still shoots under a 1/4 MOA. Untill Re#17 came out H4350 was the stuff. but now Re#17 with 57.5grs pushes a 70gr Nosler BT to 4,000 + 53.5grs pushes a 90 gr Nosler BT 3600+. So thumbs up for the conversion to 6x284.

Jamie
Has your buddy considered simply selling the 25-06 (long action) and acquiring a .243 win. (short action). This does not sound like as much fun as rechambering to a more exotic cal. but is probably a more sensible solution in the long run.

For hunting I cant see many situations where one would be better off with a 6-284 than a 25-06.
With a 25-06 one has the possibility to load a 75 gr V-max @ about 4000 fps equal to anything from a 6-284 varmint hunting. Also if needed for larger animals there is the possibility to load a 120 gr bullet for more energy than can be had from 6-284.

Further more there isnt awfully lot of practical difference between .243 and 6-284. for hunting applicatioon.
So my advise just use the 25-06 as is but if it is emotionally essential to change into 6mm take Dicks advice and sell the 25-06 and just buy a .243. That is the most practical thing to do.

If however money is of no concern sell the 25-06 buy a good custom action and have a gunsmith make what ever you feel like.

Don't know the full rules of a "coyote contest" situation, but if you wish for a high performance round from an action set up originally from a 25-06, then a long barrel 6mm -06 is an easy rebarrel. Barrel life for max accuracy will be only about 1000 rounds, but the performance is glorious throughout that short life. If barrel life is important, then a 6 BR and a short action are the other end of the spectrum.
Scott

The "coyote contest" is pretty much just the same as a fishing tournament. Its a contest hunt where the most coyotes shot wins and it is only calling or spot and stalk type hunting. No using 4 wheelers or trucks and no driving them to other guys. Its 2 man teams and ALL rifles must be .24 cal or smaller so the 25-06 is too big which is why he wants to convert. The winning formula is to put in as many calling stands in the day as you can and when you do get one or more to come in, the difference between the winners and losers more times than not is not missing and what helps that is to use the biggest, fastest, hardest hitting, most wind bucking 24 cal rifle you can. Aso being able to tip over the first one and try and get a shot at any other ones that got away. Many times the ones that run away will stop out there at 3-600 yards and yoj may get another shot and that is the tought one. The wind blows all the time in western North Dakota and in talking with past winners, they are shooting alot of 22-6, 22-243, 6x284 as well as stock 243s,6mms, and of course regular old 22-250s or the AI versions of any of these. Alot of guys are also shooting 70-90 grain bullets so that even on a marginal hit, you do maximum damage because every coyote counts and you dont want one running off. Hide damage is irrelevent because the hides are donated to cover contest expenses. Your pretty much trying to be able to hit a coyotes vitals( about 6in diameter) in crazy January wind and temps and at ranges from point blank to 600 yards or what ever your skills and your ethics allow. It seems that heavier bullets and lots of time spent on PD towns in the summer hone their skills. Mostly shooting of of bipods or shooting sticks and most of them are ranchers that live out west and shoot in those conditions alot and they're good at it. Just looking to have as much edge as everyone else does and no body knows more about how much advantage even the slightest edge can give that the BR crowd which is why I come here for advice even tho I am not a BR competitor.

Thanks for the ideas fellas and I am learning alot so feel free to keep it coming. Maybe it will prevent me from spending money that will not give and return. But maybe it will.:)

Jamie

JAY- I have a 6.5-284 and my brother has a 6mm 284. with their kreiger barrels they are awesome. get a good smith and a have fun.

I have a 6.5/284 on my encore frame. 26in bbl 1 in 8 twist. Barrel came from t/c costom shop. Great shooter with holguns 4831 powder , 129gr sst hornaday an fed 210 primers. If your buddy has an oncore, this might be worth checking out.

I have a 6X284 that shot extremely well, for a while. It didn't make it to 1000 rounds. It would shoot anything from 75 grain bullets up to 105s with equal accuracy.... I loved it. I still have it, but I'm lucky to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards with it now. Someday I just might have the chamber set back and see if there is enough left to bring it back to life.

Back