243AI Savage Build

B

Bluedog69

I am building a Savage 243AI with a brake, I want to shoot 87 grain v-max's exclusively, and I would like some advice as to what twist would be the best for this application. My guess is a 1 in 9....any hlp would be appreciated. Thanks

1-8" and be happy..!

OK....
Yes 1-9 is fine... Here's the deal.

IF...
87gr and smaller 6mm pills, a 1-10 is all that is needed or a 1-11"...

Though if you may feel the urge to shoot heavyer than 87gr.
Get the 1-8"...

IMOP.... the 243ack is at its best with the heavyer high coefficient bullets for paper/steel/predators...
With quality bullets, the 1-8 will not give you any real measurable disadvantage with the smaller bullets. But total flexability.

I do know this, a Hart 1-8" 6 groove in a 6-284 would shoot 65gr v-max at 3790 and every bullet survived. Heck even the 6mm Speer TNT's never failed.
When they hit a 2 liter bottle at 300 yds..... Boooomsplash!!!

Get the best barrel the barrel maker makes... Select Match, Supermatch... Lapped and all smooth. Much easier on the jackets. Just better all around...

good luck,
cale

My 1:8 shoots 100s and 105s great, but the 87 gr. V-Max isn't too impressive in it. I'm still experimenting trying to find a powder that works with it, with no luck thus far. My chambering is 6mmAI, Shilen Select Match, Rem 700 with lapped lugs, action face squared, Leupold 6.5-20x VX-III, H-S stock glass bedded, and Basix trigger. 105 gr Lapuas group about .28-.38", 87 gr V-Max about .6-.75" CTC. I've tried RL 19, H4831SC, and RL22. I'm going to try something faster like RL15 and see if that comes up any better.

right now I am shooting the 75 grain v max's out of an a&b barrel...it's crazy accurate out to 500 yards, but I want to move beyond that now with the 243AI. I tried the 105 amax's in my 1 in 10 twist 243 and could hardly even hit the paper at 100 yards, put in the 75 vmax's and one jagged hole. The 87's also shoot a jagged hole at 100, but I would definitely like to be able to use either the 87's and the 105's eventually. I am torn between a 1 in 8 and a 1 in 9....from what I hear from ya'all a 1 in 8 would be the ticket for what I am after. It's a long range groundhog rig, and we hunt the fields in the prone off of bipods, so it's for sure not a bench gun. What kind of speeds can I expect to achieve out of the 87's with this setup?

My buddy uses a 224 Clark....one awesome shooting rifle there, but I like the 6mm's . Thanks again fellas for the help here.

I'm not really impressed with the 87's in a 1:8". In fact, the bbl is disappointing me with 1:8s. If this is typical, the 1:9" may be a better choice. I've still got a few powders to try, though.

twist for 87s

I have a Shilen 1:12 (27") chambered in my 6mm Rem. I built it for the the 75 Vmax and it loves them. I have also shoot the 87 Vmaxs, but I really have to shoot a warm load to get the best groups. I think it is the threshold of stability. I get a little better groups with the 75s. I shoot the 75s at around 3550 fps and the 87s at 3300 fps. The 87 is a very warm load in mine..... ok it is hot. The 243 AI should be a little faster than the standard 6mm Rem. I would have no problems getting a 1:12 because I like the 75 VMax best, but a 1:11 would be a safer bet for the 87s.

I shoot the 87s in my 6mm AI using a 1:9 twist with good results. However, I usually stick with the 95 Berger VLDs, 105 Amax, or the 107 SMK in the 6mm AI. If you want the flexibility go with the faster twist. The 105 AMax will shoot fine in a 1:9 twist. I try to match the twist for a particular bullet.

Luck in your choice, tiny

Last edited:
My 243 standard is a 1 in 10 and I am pushing the 75 grainers 3505-3512 right now with varget.

If I had to make a choice and go with the 105 amax in the 243AI....then a 1 in 8 would be the correct twist for this application? I know I said I wanted 87 vmax's but I would actually be more satisfied if it handled the heavier bullets better.

My 243 standard is a 1 in 10 and I am pushing the 75 grainers 3505-3512 right now with varget.

If I had to make a choice and go with the 105 amax in the 243AI....then a 1 in 8 would be the correct twist for this application? I know I said I wanted 87 vmax's but I would actually be more satisfied if it handled the heavier bullets better.

Read the post before yours.

Back