243 WSSM extraction problems

VinceB

Guys,
Maybe this has been discussed before - if so, sorry. Is there any history of difficult extraction with this cartridge?
The rifle I'm working with is a new Browning A Bolt. Extraction is very difficult with both factory and home-loads.
Thanks
Vince (UK)

If you are talking about heavy bolt lift then yes it is a known issue with both the 223 and 243 WSSM, I'm not sure if the 25 WSSM shares this behavior.

Edit: Just did a quick search over at wssmzone.com and it looks like the 25 also has bolt lift issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a A-Bolt hunter in 25 WSSM. Yes, I had the same problems with difficult extraction to begin with. I now use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back .002. I also turned .005 off the necks and use a .289 bushing in a Wilson die to size the neck. I've gotten 10 reloads from this brass before I would discard it. This brass chambers and extracts beautifully. It's a pain, but I can prep 20 rounds of brass and it will last for a while. This is just a walk about varmint rifle, but it did put a doe on the ground this past season. My preferred bullet is a 110 gr Accubond. It will do a number on the occasional varmint, but I've killed wild hogs and so far 2 deer with this bullet. It's my idea of a dual purpose rifle.

VinceB,

Yes, it's a problem and a big one. It has to do with the improper design of the cartridge coupled with it being factory hot-loaded in an attempt to make it actually achieve it's claimed velocities. A search will turn up several posts on the subject.

The only fix that I know of is to use it only in large-shank custom actions and to load it HOT while keeping the chamber scrupulously clean ad DRY. It will flex all factory actions with the possible exception of the new large-shank Savages I'm hearing about..........please understand that I'm talking out my hat regarding the new Sav's, I've not tried one.

al

My Dad and I both have an A-Bolt in .243 WSSM, no extraction problems with either gun, factory or handloads. Good friend has a .25WSSM and has had no problems.

I have owned a Model 70 300 wsm for 3 years and have experienced this same problem when I load hot rounds. Especially when I factory crimp them. Im blaming it on pressures and poor chamber tolerences.

243 Super Shadow

I had a $399 Win Super Shadow from Wally World and heard about the extraction problems. When the WSSM Zone was still alive I read that you just load the ammo further back in the magazine. It worked like a charm for me.

Just so you know WSSMzone.com is still alive. It has been having some problems lately but it is still there.

Don

Back