.243 Winchester Super Short Magnum for 600 yards?

D

Dutchman

I'm looking at a possible new rifle build this winter for 600 yard Benchrest next season. I currently have been shooting a Savage 12F in 6mm BR but I'm not happy with the trigger and the heavy bolt lift. I have a choice to either build either a new custom action gun and barrel (6mmBr or 6mm BRX) or purchase a friends Nesika / Krieger in .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum. Anyone with experience with the .243 WSSM I'm interested in hearing more about.
Thanks

If one goes to bullets . com one can order brass.
If it is not already here it will be soon
Multiple ways to do it.
Check the accurate shooter 6 mm dasher threads.
Just wondering how difficult a procedure to fire form for the Dasher?

It is easy as sending a box of brass to DJs brass service. Dayrl does a lot of brass and knows what he is doing

Or just loading it up as a 6br and using it for the first firing then you have dasher brass for the next match

Dusty,
He has a mag bolt face which will add cost to coming down to 6 dasher.
Is a 7 short mag reasonable for 600 yds ?? or a 300wsm

No he said he didnt get it but was looking at it. Im against all magnums at 600yd. Way unnecessary and way too much recoil.

You are correct,
"under three inches"
is an also ran at 600 yds.
He could shoot, but not likely to be competing.

I had a 243 WSSM and had a lot of fun with it at 600 yds. But since I didn't shoot registered matches I am sure the naysayers will discount my experience with it. The rifle I had shot 107 Sierras and H4831 very well with multiple groups under 3" if you decide to go that way be prepare to be told that it wont work. but have fun being different.

Thanks folks

Thanks Guys..........I ended deciding to build a 6mm BRX for mainly 600 yards with a Farley Action. It looks like fire forming the BRX can be pretty accurate as opposed to just sending my brass out. I will give it a try.

Back