243 varmiter

D

double s

can anyone give me their opinion on me putting together a 243 with a .266 neck. the reamer will be built around a dummy casing loaded with a 70 gr. nosler ballistic tip and the bullet will just touch the riflings. the barrel is a 24 1/2 hart with 1 in 14 twist. my action is a rem XR-100 that has been sleeved and trued. this rifle will only be shooting 70 gr. and lighter bullets. I think it will be a fine 3 to 400 yd. varmit rifle what's your thoughts?

Isn't the standard .243 considered to be prone to severe throat erosion?
Perhaps another 6mm would be better for long barrel life?

can anyone give me their opinion on me putting together a 243 with a .266 neck. the reamer will be built around a dummy casing loaded with a 70 gr. nosler ballistic tip and the bullet will just touch the riflings. the barrel is a 24 1/2 hart with 1 in 14 twist. my action is a rem XR-100 that has been sleeved and trued. this rifle will only be shooting 70 gr. and lighter bullets. I think it will be a fine 3 to 400 yd. varmit rifle what's your thoughts?

I think you will be better served with a 6BR or the 6X47L

That said, if you do choose to go with the .243 Win case I'll suggest an 8" twist barrel

THAT said, the .243 case will work as well as any other case in it's size range except the 308Palma case. Yes, the .243 is a barrel burner but better than the 6MM Rem or any of the other big 6's, about the same as the 6X250AI

Some years ago, my hunting partner and I both built varmint rifles using his .243 reamer with zero free bore for 58 grain Hornady VMax bullets. He used a 14 twist Pac-Nor and I used a 13 twist Krieger. We both had great results and he connected on groundhogs out to 600 yds. with his. Mine was my most accurate rifle for several years, until I took up short range BR and started shooting 6 PPC. If you already have the components and want to try this, you may be very happy with the result. I won't dispute the advantages of heavy bullets. This combination will be more wind sensitive. On the other hand, there is much less recoil and longer barrel life than with a heavy bullet .243. This combination makes an awesome medium range varminter that is deadly on groundhogs and coyotes and very pleasant to shoot.

Some years ago, my hunting partner and I both built varmint rifles using his .243 reamer with zero free bore for 58 grain Hornady VMax bullets. He used a 14 twist Pac-Nor and I used a 13 twist Krieger. We both had great results and he connected on groundhogs out to 600 yds. with his. Mine was my most accurate rifle for several years, until I took up short range BR and started shooting 6 PPC. If you already have the components and want to try this, you may be very happy with the result. I won't dispute the advantages of heavy bullets. This combination will be more wind sensitive. On the other hand, there is much less recoil and longer barrel life than with a heavy bullet .243. This combination makes an awesome medium range varminter that is deadly on groundhogs and coyotes and very pleasant to shoot.

thank you ...you had my exact thoughts. my neighbor just sold me shilin 6mm barrel for $50 with a 14 twist that he took off one of his Borden built ppc's. he said it had about 800 rounds through it.
and I sent my standard 243 reamer to Dave Manson to have it tightened up to a .266 neck and .010 free bore based on a dummy round that I sent him with a 70 nosler ballistic in it seated where I wanted it to be. unfortunately the barrel is only 24 1/2" long now with the ppc chamber in it and threaded for a panda action. after I rechamber it with the new reamer and thread it for my XR-100 rem. action I will probably lose about 1" or maybe 1 1/4" leaving me with about a 23 1/4" barrel or thereabouts. but in my area we are pretty much limited to no more than 500 yds. So in my opinion I think I will have a great little varmit gun that will take a little more wind than a 22 cal. gun and shoot a bit faster too. or at least I hope I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back