.243 Loads For Accuracy

K

Kimberguy2004

I'm experimenting with loads for a Rem700 .243Win. My bullet choices are .55gr Nosler BT and 75gr Hornady V-Max. What are some good powders and loads for best accuracy using these two bullets? The barrel twist rate is 9.25".
Thanks

Bob

Before my 1970 ? Winchester VT in .243 barrel was shot out I used .85 gr. Searra HPBT Game King bullets with IMR-4350. It has a 1 in 10 twist and would consistently shoot 5 shots at 100 yds. that a dime would cover. I even killed a fox at 600 yds. with it. The best shooting rifle I have ever owned.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

I shoot 80 gr bergers 38 grains varget with fed 210m primers seated into the lands. This load has shot well in several diff brand of guns.

What about seating depth for the 55gr bullets? It looks like they won't get close to the lands and still seat firmly enough in the case. Do you just seat them to he recommened OAL and live with that?

Yes, that's all you can do with bullets that won't reach the origin of the rifling. You've got to hold them in the case without them falling out in handling. This si especially important if you are feeding them form the magazine.

Unless you're looking for the very highest velocity I'd suggest you stick with 70-80 grain bullets for all around varminting use. 4064 and 4350 may be good choices. Look in a good reloading manual for loads to start with.

What about seating depth for the 55gr bullets? It looks like they won't get close to the lands and still seat firmly enough in the case. Do you just seat them to he recommened OAL and live with that?

My Suggestion

This would apply to any rifle/cartridge.

I most cases to test for accuracy of a particular rifle buy some match grade bullets. Sierra makes a bunch; however in the case of the .243 or 6mm there are a bunch of very high quaility bullets avaible.

Ditto to the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT and IMR-4350 as I have had good luck with this combination with every 243 I have owned. The 85 gr. #1530 bullet is a game bullet but it will sure do a number on a coyote.FWIW

Rodney

.243 loads

try the accuracy loads from nosler and sierra. try i-4350 or i4064 and the 85 sierra bthp.

243 loads

Have found berger 95g VLDs jammed with vit n160 46g exellent in my 1 in 10 twist 243 barrel.

This is a load that served well in a bone stock remington sporter. It was not a max load but shot so well I stopped there. The rifle was long throated so I seated the bullet out to where I had just enough case to hang onto the bullet. No fur damage on coyotes and never lost one. Too explosive on fox.

win case
210m primer
70gr SMK
42gr Big Game

Best wishes

I should have mentioned this with my first post.

Every rifle likes a particular load that will shoot best. You can find very close to this load for your rifle by using the "Ladder Step" method.

Basicly this is done by reloading the components you wish to use with changing the powder weight by 3 tenths grain from minimum to maximum charge taken from a reloading guide for the .243.

Then go to the range and at 100 yards sight in using factory loads first. Then using your stepped loads (try to shoot when there is NO wind). Aim at EXACTLY the same point on the target for every shot. Keep track of where each bullet hits as you shoot from minimum load to maximum load.

At some point you should see 2 or 3 holes that either touch or are very close which should get you to an accurate load for your particular rifle.

If it is a factory hunting rifle this is probably as good as you can get. You can still experiment to refine the load, but you will probably not be able to do much better.

Good luck.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
Back