243 ai

S

Sparky85

I am new here and I am thinking about building a 243 ai on a stiller predator with a 28" broughton or bartlein barrel not sure on twist though. I want to be able to shoot heavey bullets for deer hunting here in the mid-west but also shoot lighter bullets for varmits any input would be great

Just buy an 8" twist and be done.

There's no downside.

Have the reamer throated to .060 freebore, 1.5degree leade.

I'm not advocating this choice of cartridge but I've spent some time with it.

al

sparky, For the 105-107 and may-be the 115 you will need a 1-8 twist barrel.
Most guys who shoot the 115 have been asking for a little faster twist 7.5-7.8.

Shooting the light varmit bullets with a fast twist can cause them to come apart in the air. Hornady claims their v-max bullets have a thicker jacket that can withstand faster twist so they may work better than some of the more explosive varmit bullets.

If you choose a deer bullet in the 85-95grain range then you could slow the twist rate to say 1-10 or 1-11 and have better results with bullets under 70 grains.

I am new here and I am thinking about building a 243 ai on a stiller predator with a 28" broughton or bartlein barrel not sure on twist though. I want to be able to shoot heavey bullets for deer hunting here in the mid-west but also shoot lighter bullets for varmits any input would be great

I shoot an 8 twist Broughton with no problems in the 105 to 108 range.

Try a 30 degree shoulder too...all that speed without the case problems!

What would you recomend instead?

I'm currently using something I call the "6X47 Lapua" based on the 6.5X47L case. It's smaller and more efficient than the .243AI. It does what I tried to do with the .243AI. I shoot a 35 degree shoulder instead of the 40 because it still resizes well. It's expensive to set up though.

If you want K.I.S.S. simple then I'll suggest the 6BR.

IMO this should be everyone's first "real" custom rifle. It will establish a benchmark with no BS.

The two major problems with the .243AI are that you can't properly maintain the case (or at least I couldn't) and you can't run high enough pressures to really make it shoot to it's capacity. Furthermore, if you ever try to make a .243AI truly accurate, like competitive, then you have the problem of gapspace........ when you blow out an AI case it shortens quite a lot. This leaves a "gap" at the end of the neck that tends to fill up with crud.

Cool looking round, not a stellar performer. If I were dead set on using the .243 case I'd leave it stock, short-chamber it so that you can't get a factory case in without bumping the shoulder and shoot it at around 2750 with 105-108gr bullets. Done this way it can win. It doesn't beat a 6BR performance wise but it'll give it a run for its money.

Just remember this, when you're spending this kinda' money on a hotrod you don't need to be able to buy ammo at the local mart. And that's really the big selling point of the .243AI.

No matter what you choose, use Lapua brass..... or if you follow Haney's advice and get the 6MM use Winchester.

Try searching if you want to read a lot of opinions on the various choices.

al

I'm currently using something I call the "6X47 Lapua" based on the 6.5X47L case. It's smaller and more efficient than the .243AI. It does what I tried to do with the .243AI. I shoot a 35 degree shoulder instead of the 40 because it still resizes well. It's expensive to set up though.

If you want K.I.S.S. simple then I'll suggest the 6BR.

IMO this should be everyone's first "real" custom rifle. It will establish a benchmark with no BS.

The two major problems with the .243AI are that you can't properly maintain the case (or at least I couldn't) and you can't run high enough pressures to really make it shoot to it's capacity. Furthermore, if you ever try to make a .243AI truly accurate, like competitive, then you have the problem of gapspace........ when you blow out an AI case it shortens quite a lot. This leaves a "gap" at the end of the neck that tends to fill up with crud.

Cool looking round, not a stellar performer. If I were dead set on using the .243 case I'd leave it stock, short-chamber it so that you can't get a factory case in without bumping the shoulder and shoot it at around 2750 with 105-108gr bullets. Done this way it can win. It doesn't beat a 6BR performance wise but it'll give it a run for its money.

Just remember this, when you're spending this kinda' money on a hotrod you don't need to be able to buy ammo at the local mart. And that's really the big selling point of the .243AI.

No matter what you choose, use Lapua brass..... or if you follow Haney's advice and get the 6MM use Winchester.

Try searching if you want to read a lot of opinions on the various choices.

al

Good advice, AL,i do like the 6mm Dasher and it will do what a .243 will do with less powder and longer barrel life but will cause feeding problems in a repeater.
Yes,the 6mm rem winchester brass is pretty good.

Best barrel life is hands down the 6BR but it does have feeding problems. The 6BR feeds best through a rifle that's designed for it.

The 6X47L eliminates the feeding issues and would seem to offer good barrel life but is a little harder to set up as it's still in the experimental stage. I have a perfectly successful system which I've outlined in the thread "Al's 6X47L" but it's all new stuff. I say barrel life "should be" good because it's new stuff. IMO it should be better than the 6 DAShers and they haven't got a barrel-burning rep.

Barrel life of the .243 and 6MM are similar, AI'ing either one significantly reduces barrel life.

al

I have been trying to find info on the 6x47l there is not alot any sugestions

Why Heavy Bullets?

For the first time in my life I hunted with a .243.

We tuned up and older Model 700 and got it to shoot 85 grain Barnes Triple-Shocks real well.

I just got back from Wyoming after killing two antelope with one shot each; both animals droped in their tracks at 200 yards.

Both bullets were clean past throughs.

Sure was fun hunting with a light recoiling small rifle.

Good bullets and a well placed shot really does work.

BTW these bullets did not shoot great until they were 0.100 off the lands.

I have been trying to find info on the 6x47l there is not alot any sugestions

Sparky,

Try this link

http://www.6mmhot.com/

And here

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek079.html

When I said "still in the experimental stage" I wasn't joking. ;) This cartridge is a wildcat, no real SAAMI specs. You'll need to find someone who's done it before, or really research it and design or copy a reamer. I of course think that "my" iteration is the best, but others have theirs. :)

And there are a LOT of folks who currently believe the "6 Dasher" to be better....I think this is just because the Dasher has been around longer, folks have the bugs worked out of their individual systems.

LOL

al

Back