22ppc

W

Waylan Kisor

Most 6PPC shooters are using VHT133, which I shoot in my bench gun. I have a 22PPC sporter/target, and have tried several powders. I was wondering if there is a pet powder that works well in a 22. Mine is a blueprinted Remington action with a 26" stainless barrell. I see very few 22's in bench competition. I know, I keep using the "bench" term but my gun is a factory hybrid, so as not to ruffel any feathers I posted here.

Sako Varminter .22PPC

For many years I shot one of the original Sako Varminters in .22 PPC and the medium burning rate powders were the best performers. That is to say I had excellent luck with H335, W748, and H322. Basically the powders which work well for the .223 will also excel in the .22 PPC. Bullet weight will also affect your choice. 52 Grain match bullets and full charge loads exceeded 3400 ft/secs in my rifle, with accuracy in the 1/2 MOA range. Original lot of Sako .220 Russian brass (still have 300 virgin cases!) and Federal or Remington primers. Hope it helps.

Waylan
I used to have a 40X groundhog rifle in 22PPC it was deadly accurate with a good stiff load of WW748 . With Nosler Ballistic tips it cranked out 3800fps

Dick

I just got a Waldog, .125 short, I started using N-133. With a full case of powder under a 52 Berger it is very tight. True bug hole.

I had two factory 22PPC's. My Sako loved 28.5 grains topped with a 52 grain Barts. I miss that rifle:(

Dick

I shot three different charges of three different powders yesterday and the 748 beat the heck out of the other two-BLC-2 and Varget. I think I may have been petting this gun too much as most of my work with VHT 133 has been in the 25-27 grain range. I will max out the 133 and try some loads there. I have worked almost exclusively with 133 because I shoots really good in my 6PPC. I have previously tried 748 in other small case 22's and it did well but not the best. I guess I did not use enough powder. Must be one of those "filler up thumper and stick a bullet in".

I shot three different charges of three different powders yesterday and the 748 beat the heck out of the other two................... Must be one of those "filler up thumper and stick a bullet in".

Yes Waylan,
ideally you want a powder that completely fills case for best accuracy. I found 748 to be great at times and just so so at other times I hope it works well for you.

Full size .22PPC

52gr Benchrest bullet and a case full of 4895 seat to or a fer thous in the lands and READ the wind.... Bug holes in the cold or heat, low or high humidity..... 22"+ barrel should yield 3390 + vel.

The H 4895 is a slightly smaller kernal than IMR version. But both work.
Then there is VV135 when it can bet got..........?!?:(

cale

Yes Waylan,
ideally you want a powder that completely fills case for best accuracy. I found 748 to be great at times and just so so at other times I hope it works well for you.

My thinking also. 133 does not settle down as good as 748. I plan to explore 748 as soon as I can get back to the range. Our weather in NE Alabama is sort of iffy at present. My supply of 52 Bergers is dwindling down, since I have had very good results with Barts 68 gr. in my 6PPC, I may try some of his 22's. Have you shot any, if yes, do you see any significant differences?

Waylan I have not shot a 22 in a match in 15 years or more. Berger makes some fine bullets but I suspect Barts or any Quality match bullet would give you a slight edge.

Dick

I had my best luck with Benckmark powder. I use in both my 22ppc and my 22ppc 100 short. I got better groups out of Benchmark than I did with V133 or V130.

Waylan I have not shot a 22 in a match in 15 years or more. Berger makes some fine bullets but I suspect Barts or any Quality match bullet would give you a slight edge.

Dick

I enjoy shooting very much but do not care to compete. That is the point where I think it becomes work. I am building a tight neck 22BR to replace my old 22-250 custom, good shooter but washed out. The 22ppc is a Gary O'Cock creation and my 6ppc is a Billy Stevens product, the 6 being my first "bench gun". I love to putem in the same hole, happens sometimes, kinda like a hole in one. Ex golfer turned shooter.

52gr Benchrest bullet and a case full of 4895 seat to or a fer thous in the lands and READ the wind.... Bug holes in the cold or heat, low or high humidity..... 22"+ barrel should yield 3390 + vel.

The H 4895 is a slightly smaller kernal than IMR version. But both work.
Then there is VV135 when it can bet got..........?!?:(

cale

+1 with what Cale says about 4895.

IMR 4895 and a Bart's 52 bullets shoot best in my full size 22PPC.

Back