22LR High Velocity?

40grain

Hi,
I like to shoot 22LR at 50 Yd and .223 at longer distance.

I have found that when I shoot 22LR I have more consistent results when I use standard velocity ammo. I only recently realized that the most of the high velocity 22LR ammo drops below the sound barrier before it gets out to 50 yards. I guess I had assumed it would go fast long enough to get where it is going but now I realize it probably starts wiggling at 30 yards.

Now I am wondering; am I over estimating the effect of the sound barrier or is passage through the threshold a significant factor that introduces instability?

At the moment I am imagining that high velocity ammo is only a benefit if you want to deliver maximum impact on a target and that this benefit comes at the expense of consistent accuracy.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thank you.

Subsonic Match

Hi,
I like to shoot 22LR at 50 Yd and .223 at longer distance.

I have found that when I shoot 22LR I have more consistent results when I use standard velocity ammo. I only recently realized that the most of the high velocity 22LR ammo drops below the sound barrier before it gets out to 50 yards. I guess I had assumed it would go fast long enough to get where it is going but now I realize it probably starts wiggling at 30 yards.

Now I am wondering; am I over estimating the effect of the sound barrier or is passage through the threshold a significant factor that introduces instability?

At the moment I am imagining that high velocity ammo is only a benefit if you want to deliver maximum impact on a target and that this benefit comes at the expense of consistent accuracy.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thank you.

1040 -1080 FPS is about where all Match ammo is at (Eley,90% 0f the BR market, Lupua & RWS ) Most Eley shooters prefer 1050- 1070 range. High Velocity (CCI) is never used by any one that I am aware of trying to achieve Max Accuracy! We snicker when we hear the sound barrier broken (crack) knowing that guys ammo is off ! Ocassionaly the first shot out of a clean barrel will break the barrier ,but will settle back down after that shot ! JMHO

I try and stay just under 1100 FPS at 100 and closer to 1000 at 50. I just aquired some old 37 grain power points (2 cases same lot #)and outshot all my eley and lapua. They are my normal goto.

...snip... Ocassionaly the first shot out of a clean barrel will break the barrier ,but will settle back down after that shot ! JMHO

Happened to me twice yesterday shooting Tenex in my 40Xb with factory barrel. It was very humid with little wind. I pull a dry patch through after every ARA card and on two of the four cards, the fouling shot afterward broke supersonic. Hit about 1/2-3/4 inch high on the sighter bull. Got a chuckle up and down the line. My gut feeling was the lack of lubricant caused higher pressure and that contributed to the higher velocity.

Hoot

Back