22br

R

rain164845

Is the 22 BR winning any matches? I am contemplating it at a groundhog match at 100, 300, and 500 yards. This match is worst edge scoring so the smaller calibers have a definite advantage at shorter range.
Thanks,
Joe

I havent used mine at short range (1-200yds) but have used it a lot at longer ranges in F class. Lovely cartridge and I cant think of many better for 300-500yd shoots, but then mine has a 9" twist barrel shooting 68gn flat base bullets.
I would think as a gun to shoot from 100-500yds, a 22BR would be a good choice even if you have the usual 14" twist, though the 55gn flat bases might blow around a bit more than you would like at 500yds if it is a windy day.
What the 22BR lacks in wind bucking, it makes up for in accuracy and low recoil. I can usualy see my bullet trace and bullet impact in the dust with the light kicking 22BR

Seems like a winner

Seems like a winner with a 75-80 VLD in a 8.5 twist barrel. What are some realistic velocities with these weight bullets and a reamer throated for them?

Anyone else?
Joe

Im not kidding when i say this, but i have seen 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards with a march scope in st louis that a good friend of mine was shooting. You may be right about the 22cal holes at 500 though. Lee

A friend once built a fast twist 22-250 on a Hart barrel. It would shoot heavy bullets lights out for a couple of shots, and then powder fouling would start to cause problems. I know that some shoot larger cases at 1,000 yards, but just be aware that in at least one case, there were significant issues with the slow powders that were required. Given the available 6mm bullets, and their advantages, why would you want to go with a .22?

The advantage is in the worst edge scoring and very low recoil. For group or anything else, I would consider the 6mm. In fact, I already have the dies, bullets, brass and everything for the 6BR, but I am having second thoughts.

I have been working with a 22BR in a LV for close to two years. Does not shoot like my PPC rifle. In defense of the cartridge the reamer maker made a mistake and ground my reamer neck ,254 instead of ,244 and the gunsmith just went ahead and used it anyway, I did not find out till the gun was shipped to me and the barrels were to short to rechamber, I have triied my best to make something out of this but no luck, I also had a 1-10" barrel made at the same time, but not uded yet, Anouther possible reason it may be hard to make it shoot is the Lapua BR brass has water overflow capacity of 41,1gr and for instance a ,22-,100 case made from Sako USA cases has 28.7gr to overflow.
My 22BR shoots best with handmade 52gr bulets and slow powders like Varget and AA2520, I've been thinking Win 748 outta do well also,

Tim J,

Back