.223 Wssm???

P

Paul31

I have a .223WSSM Win. 70 Shadow sitting around. I have heard it's a problematic caliber. I have thought about selling it. But, is there anything I can do to make it better(barrel, stcok etc. ), or a caliber that will work well with it's shorter action?
Looking for some advice. I've heard things like poor bullet performance in 50gr and above, and Horrilbe throat wear.

go shoot yours, and see how it works for you. like anything else, ive seen people who love 'em, and people who cuss at 'em.

Been shooting 73 grain Bergers out of mine and it flat loves them.

Reed's

JUST FYI

If you don't reload for this cartridge Reed's ammunition and research out of OK has several loadings for the 223 and 243 WSSM for about $17 a box.

I have used their 243 WSSM ammo and my Win Super Shadow really liked them.

What I have found with my .243 WSSM Coyote is that the barrel needs to be cleaned (VERY GOOD) after every 7 shots. When the barrel is cleaned it groups 5 shots at 100 yards 5/8" or less with 55gr factory, 58gr+65gr+75gr V-max reloaded bullets. After 7 shots the groups open up to about 1+1/2". I have also read that this is common with all the WSSMs. :)

gt40

What I have found with my .243 WSSM Coyote is that the barrel needs to be cleaned (VERY GOOD) after every 7 shots. When the barrel is cleaned it groups 5 shots at 100 yards 5/8" or less with 55gr factory, 58gr+65gr+75gr V-max reloaded bullets. After 7 shots the groups open up to about 1+1/2". I have also read that this is common with all the WSSMs. :)

gt40

Ran into the same thing with the 25wssm. Guy told me it used to shoot tight and all of a sudden opened up and started slinging them all over. I verified the complaint and he was right. Checked everything out and scrubbed the barrel real good to remove the carbon in it. Shot again and it was sub moa. I told him to invest in a good rod and brush and jag with a good solvent. Had the same problem with the 223wssm.

Back