223 to 17 fireball ?

Jim D

I've been trying unsuccessfully to form 17fireball brass from 223 brass.

I start with a 221 trim die, no problem. I turn the necks, and neck size to 20, no problem. Then when I size to 17 fireball, they nearly all wrinkle.
How much wrinkle can I get by with ?
How do you guys do it ?
Thanks.
Jim

Jim,
I would think you will need a 223-221 form die first. You might get by using a 221 seater as a form die. I've done a lot of MKIV, but I've used 221 brass to begin with. If you know someone who has either Skip Otto's or Butch Lambert's form dies, they would probably work as well.

Good luck,
Rick

17 Fireball (17 MIV)from .223

There have been several posts about this subject over on the Saubier.com website. If you do a search on that website you should be able to find info to answer all your questions. Good shooting! Vic

Jim D

You are going to have to inside ream,ouside neck turn ,trim, and anneal the cases. That's a whole lotta work.

Thanks guys !
I had some free brass, so I thought I'd try it.
The Saubier site did help.
I've have a few made up.
Jim

For what it's worth - I formed 100 20 VarTarg cases from Lapua 222 brass. The VarTarg is based on the Fire Ball case as is the .17 FB. I used the Redding case forming dies - a 2-die set - which worked well. I didn't lose a case. And, yes, you absolutely must deal with the neck thickness.

If you have just a small dimple at the edge of the shoulder thats pretty normal and will iron out just fine on the first firing with no real affect on accuracy. 300 yard ground squirrels are no problem with fire form loads. Try around 20g of H335 with the 20g V Max.

After I sized down to 221, I turned the necks, and that really helped !

I was just up to Cabelas and bought some brass, it was $46 plus tax, but I had a coupon for $30 of of a $100.

Thanks for the info guys !

Back