223 seating length question

J

Jeff

Am about to load for a new 223 and my first 223. Does one first try seating the bullets so that they touch the lands or should I back off about .02 inch? If the bullet touches the lands does the pressure spike up?

223 loads

jeff: Suggest you check-out the "accurateshooter" web site, go to home page, scroll down left side column to the 223 cartridge data. There is a wealth of info there. My bolts, gas guns and single-shot 223s' all seem to shoot the smallest groups with the bullet(s) seated .020" off the lands, but that's mine: they are all different. If you are operating with a max or near max load, seating to touch can raise pressure. First clue will be bolt hard to open, and you'll see primer cratering. Keep all else the same, but back-off .020"/ .030" and you'll probably see a return to normal. There are a lot of factors involved, so nothing is written in stone.

223 length

Friend I would start by just putting a bullet in the case to get a start OAL. Then I would back off 0.10 and 0.15 and so on.You might find that .030 of the lands or 0,50 might be the best OAL for your rifle. Shooting at 100yds will tell which OAL is best. I would try W-748 powder and 40gr V-max. Hope the info will help

Back